Utility Sink Sump Pump Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

dta828

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a new utility sink with sump pump which will mainly serve a washing machine. I live in single story home built on a slab; therefore, the easiest option is to run the drain line through the attic to the existing vent stack. This will require running the pump outlet up ~8' to a new horizontal drain line which will run through the attic 20-25' to the existing vent stack. I'm also planning on running a new vent line for the sump out the roof and would like to us this same vent to vent the horizontal drain line.

See attached picture for proposed piping. All piping to the right of the existing vent stack on the left would be new. Does this meet code requirements? Do I have the right idea?

Utility-sink-plumbing.jpg

dta828

Reaction score
The sump vent must be a separate vent and not connected to the septic vent system. The vent for the sump is to allow air to be pulled in when the water is pumped out and air to be pushed out as its filed.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/venting-for-basement-lift-system.84520/#post-608230

Can you point me to the section in the code which requires the sump to have a separate vent? I looked at the code and couldn't find this anywhere. Also, does it make a difference that this is graywater and not sewage?

I'm thinking if the vent is sized appropriately then there shouldn't be any issue. Is there a minimum size vent that should be used in this situation?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
https://county.mckenziecounty.net/usrfiles/2009_International_Plumbing_Code.pdf
Looking at this section, an independent vent does not seem to be required with an electric sewage pump by IPC.
916.5 Sump vents.
Sump vent sizes shall be determined in accordance with Sections 916.5.1 and 916.5.2. 916.5.1 Sewage pumps and sewage ejectors other than pneumatic. Drainage piping below sewer level shall be vented in a similar manner to that of a gravity system. Building sump vent sizes for sumps with sewage pumps or sewage ejectors, other than pneumatic, shall be determined in accordance with Table 916.5.1.
I don't know where it says it, but that needs a real vent and not an AAV.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks