Utility Sink drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redline

Reaction score
Wanting to install a utility sink next to my washing machine where the table currently is....

There is currently a 3" CI uncovered washing machine standpipe next to the washing machine that the drain hose just sits into. Can I splice in a Wye or T to drain the sink? Will I need to vent this through the roof or will open venting still be ok? The main stack is about 2' away in the center of the laundry room (very right side of pic) that has been converted to PVC although there is already a 4-way T at the ceiling to accommodate first floor bathrooms, so tying into that might be a challenge.

What is the correct way to do this given what I am working with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks like no one wants to tell you they think your going to need a lot of work to correct what you have before you can add anything.....Maybe more pictures would help but I doubt it......

Should be a standpipe with a p-trap and a vent. All I see is a pipe into the floor........where is it going and how is it trapped and vented now? Doesn't look even remotely correct and I can tell that and I'm not a plumber....

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The fixture traps must be above the floor. Assuming there is a trap under the floor, it will need to be removed before the system can be set up in the manner you desire.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
My take on what you have is a unvented pipe comming thru the floor (which I would bet) has no trap on it.

YOU HAVE AN EXTREME HEALTH HAZARD ON YOUR HANDS!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We don't know if there is a trap under the floor for the washing machine. The proper way would be to install a tee in a vertical drain line, then vent it properly with a trap at the sink. The washer's drain does not appear to have a vent on it either.

Redline

Reaction score
the trap is in the floor, its a standard (at least around here) washing machine standpipe. Local code says you dont need the washing machine to be vented via AAV or roof, so i was curious if you could splice in a sanitary T for the utility sink drain as well..

The main stack, although PVC is in the middle of the room and not possible/desirable to tie vent into.

From what it sounds like, code-wise, im sort of screwed unless i run a vent up the wall and tie into the main stack on the first or second floor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think you might be misreading or there has perhaps been a change in the past couple of years that I am not familiar with. To my knowledge, the standpipe cannot be greater that 30" or less than 18" above the trap, which should be above the floor. Yours does not meet this requirement. If it did, then you can also drain your laundry tray into it, (unvented), but only if your laundry is on the ground floor. (which it does not appear to be).

Yes, St. Louis allows things that are not acceptable in most of the U.S.

Redline

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. I ended up talking to the local county building code inspector since it seems that St Louis is a little backwards in plumbing code and what flys here would be ridiculous elsewhere.

I know a drain vented to the roof would be best, and the ptrap for the washing machine *should* be above ground...

but...

its St Louis...so in this case, the open-vented washing machine standpipe with ptrap in the ground is par for the course. On top of that, cutting in a sanitary T for a utility sink drain (no ptrap) and leaving it open-vented is also code, so long as the utility sink is no more than 30" away from the standpipe.

Thanks again for your help...now i know how backwards StL plumbing code is.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. I ended up talking to the local county building code inspector since it seems that St Louis is a little backwards in plumbing code and what flys here would be ridiculous elsewhere.

I know a drain vented to the roof would be best, and the ptrap for the washing machine *should* be above ground...

but...

its St Louis...so in this case, the open-vented washing machine standpipe with ptrap in the ground is par for the course. On top of that, cutting in a sanitary T for a utility sink drain (no ptrap) and leaving it open-vented is also code, so long as the utility sink is no more than 30" away from the standpipe.

Thanks again for your help...now i know how backwards StL plumbing code is.

If thats all true all I can say is WOW!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks