Using Unions for Septic Pump input and Output

Users who are viewing this thread

Asker123

Reaction score
Hello,
My Septic Pump takes Grey water from my Septic tank and drains into Septic field approx. every 12 hours. It runs for 7 minutes each time.
It is time to change the pump. My experienced friend in plumbing is suggesting to introduce Union ( is it also called coupling?) on both input and output side to make the change easier the next time. I am inexperienced and I like the idea that next time if he is not around, the change will be easier for me if I introduce Unions now. The Unions are also recommended in the pump User Manual.
On the other hand I am thinking that by introducing Unions, I am introducing chances of another leak in my basement and this is Sewage water. MY TOLERANCE TOWARDS SEPTIC LEAK IS ZERO. IT MUST NOT LEAK. The change of pump is once in 10 years activity. Why introduce another point of failure? Some pics are attached. What do you folks think? If you suggest Unions, what kinds of Unions should I be looking for. Quality and Reliability is key for me.
While making the change, it seems like the check valve is on wrong side in my current setup . It is on input side and rather should be on output side. Do I see this correct? Should I replace the check valve or just use what is on input and move it to output?

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_123120455.jpg
    IMG_20230313_123120455.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20230313_123113230_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230313_123113230_HDR.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230313_123106475.jpg
    IMG_20230313_123106475.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 77

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Having hose clamps is just as easy as using unions especially with poly pipe. Installing unions with metal pipe can be a bit challenging. One union would Ok but to get two lined up to evenly connect to the pump may just be not worth the effort. In the future a replacement pump of the exact dimensions may no longer be made. What you have has worked forever so why fix what's not broke.

The check valve is there to hold the prime and prevent any siphoning from the septic field back to the tank. The input side is where they are installed.

Asker123

Reaction score
Ok Thanks.
I will try to talk him out of using Unions.
For the Check valve being on input side, the new pump's manual says that there is an in built check valve inside the pump housing on intake side. That is why I was wondering if we can move that external check valve on the output side to prevent the leach field water backflowing into pump .

Asker123

Reaction score
New pump is called little giant . I have bought model BE-S50

The older pump is exactly same model. Just that the pump is called Monarch Industries.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks