Using two washers instead of one in ballcock nut to extend fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Padraic

Reaction score
This one should be an easy answer, but I can't seem to find it (I'm probably not using the right search terms...), so any help/redirection would be appreciated!

I'm putting in a shower-over-bath in an alcove, and, lo and behold, after the tiler put in the tile, when I came back to put the final touches on, the faucet/handles (a one-piece, stainless fixture) is on a slight angle, not parallel to the wall! This is because this faucet mounts onto two supply pipes, protruding through the tile, and one of them is somehow off by a whopping 1/4".

The fixture itself screws onto the two pipes protruding from the wall with two ballcock nuts (stainless steel) that are integrated into the fixture and can't be removed. Can I just put an extra washer on one side (i.e., one ballcock nut has 1 washer, and the other has 2 washers to be spaced a bit further from the wall)? This makes the angle much less noticeable, and it doesn't seem to be leaking now, but I want to make sure I'm not setting up for problems further down the line, or if there's anything else I should be aware of.

Thanks!
Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks