Using Pressure Tank with Chlorine

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed (and I'm sure it has). I can't seem to search old posts for some reason. . .

In any case, are there issues with injecting chlorine into the line before the pressure tank? I do have a sizable retention tank in the garage to give the chlorine the necessary contact time. With the way my system is designed and the location of the pressure tank, however, it would be most convenient to inject chlorine before the pressure tank.

I recently read that chlorine in the pressure tank could possibly cause the bladder to fail prematurely. Is there any truth to this? I suppose chlorine is a corrosive substance. . .

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suppose chlorine is a corrosive substance. . .
I know it wreaks havoc on water softener beads and thermos bottles. My wife used to fill my stainless steel thermos with bleach and water to get the coffee stains out. The bleach would burn a hole through the steel and the vacuum would suck it in. I wen't through several of them this way before realizing what she was doing.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Some guys that used to post here swore that chlorine attacks the 'bladder' but I've never seen it or heard of it from anyone but them.

There should be no problem running a few more feet of 3/8" tubing from the solution feeder to your retention tank. And that keeps rust build up out of the pressure switch and gauge; plus it's the only right way to do it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen chlorine damage a bladder tank either. Possibly in terribly high concentrations it would.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks