Using old cleanout for new bathroom addition

Users who are viewing this thread

Joeriley2005

Reaction score
Is it acceptable in WA to use the existing threaded cleanout at the end of a DWV run to add my new DWV line for an added bathroom? I would add a new cleanout after the connection. Can I just thread in a new coupling and attach my pipe or do I have to removed the threaded connection completely?

Thanks,

Joe

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Sort of hard to use the cleanout when you connect a drain to it....

I always thought it was nice to leave the cleanout where it is and tie into the drain above or below it.

Joeriley2005

Reaction score
The problem is that I'm running out of vertical drop. My original plan was to install a wye below the cleanout but I was worried about using a wye horizontally. It seems to me that the waste might hang up after looking inside the wye. I don't have enough room to install the wye at a 45 due to the 1/4"/ft drop I've been running.

Does anyone have any idea if a wye installed horizontally will have in issues?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of this?

A wye installed on it's "back" or "side" when you speak of it being horizontal?

Joeriley2005

Reaction score
Attached are some pictures I just took. Not sure if they will show exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, but the new pipe needs to come through the foundation cutout and attach to the old system some how.

Attachments

• Misc Pictures 136.jpg
    Misc Pictures 136.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Misc Pictures 127.jpg
    Misc Pictures 127.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Misc Pictures 128.jpg
    Misc Pictures 128.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Misc Pictures 129.jpg
    Misc Pictures 129.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Misc Pictures 130.jpg
    Misc Pictures 130.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 393

Joeriley2005

Reaction score
Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• Misc Pictures 135.jpg
    Misc Pictures 135.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 384
  • Misc Pictures 131.jpg
    Misc Pictures 131.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 361
  • Misc Pictures 132.jpg
    Misc Pictures 132.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Misc Pictures 133.jpg
    Misc Pictures 133.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 369
  • Misc Pictures 134.jpg
    Misc Pictures 134.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 380

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot see the detail, but it would seem that the new branch could be raised so that it starts up closer to the bottom of the joists under the new bath. This would allow you to cut the wye into the main so that it is turned upward to a fair degree.

I don't see that connecting where the cleanout would be better, as the line should be even higher there.

Joeriley2005

Reaction score
What you don't see in the pictures is the 30 feet of travel from my new WC flange. I cut a notch in the new joist adjacent to the new WC flange to push the drain up as close to the the first joist as possible (I will go back and sister the joist to add the strength back into it).

There was one picture where the wye and pipe were sitting on top of the old drains. Do you think using a wye in this orientation will work fine? I'm sure that will meet the 1/4" per foot drop.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I agree.

You should leave the existing clean-out alone and adjust your new branch to tie in down-stream of all of those other existing drains.

You must be adding a bathroom judging by the size of your new pipe, I hope you're gonna' have a clean-out on the end of it too?

How do you plan to shore up the hole in the foundation after?

Edit: also, you don't need to try to follow the 1/4"/foot pitch religiously, it's a minimum and there are no ill effects from having it steeper if necessary.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Where that "Y" is depicted is the "ideal" location for it. If the line is too low to go through the opening directly, then you can "roll" the Y and another fitting to raise the branch and line it up with the new toilet. WE have no idea whether the piping you install between the toilet and Y will be done correctly, however.

Joeriley2005

Reaction score
So, if I put the wye in the orientation shown in this picture, I shouldn't have any problems? Assuming I do the upstream correctly. Originally, I was concerned about waste from the old toilet hanging up inside of the wye if I put it horizontally. If I put the wye in like the picture shown, I should be fine with my 1/4" min drop.

Here's a question on installing the wye in the old system...what is the best way to do it??? I don't know if I'll have enough movement of the old drain to get the wye installed. I was told at the local Hardware store that I should use a fernco coupling. what are your thoughts on that?

thanks a bunch for all your help!

Joe

Attachments

• Misc Pictures 133.jpg
    Misc Pictures 133.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 339
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks