Using integral power and water on Geberit wall carrier for TOTO bidet seat

Users who are viewing this thread

houndzilla

Reaction score
I'm planning on mating up a Toto Aquia with Geberit in wall tank/carrier. I've been debating on getting Toto bidet seat, but I really don't want extraneous power and water to the seat.

The geberit carrier has provisions for power and water for bidets seats but I 1) cannot seem to find much documentation about them, and 2) can't find about connecting to different brands.

Anyone have experience with this?

DougB

Reaction score
totocarrier.png
Extraneous power? You need an electrical outlet. I used a Toto carrier - it has a brass pipe plug (yellow circle) that you can remove for water supply to a bidet. You need to install an outlet near that water supply, about one foot off the floor, for power to the bidet.

I advise you to purchase the carrier, flush plate, toilet, and see how it all goes together before framing, etc.

Last edited:

houndzilla

Reaction score
Correct, the carrier I have has a little electrical knockout w/ lightning bolt for what is I assume a line voltage connection to the bidet that doesn't require a separate wall mounted receptacle. Maybe that's not how works, which is why I'm asking. My Geberit carrier has the same water connection in the same spot. What I'm asking is are these water connection locations a standard placement or do I need to match MFRs.

Great point about having everything purchased. I already have all three items (carrier, flush plate, and toilet) on site and will be test fitting as I am framing that area.

houndzilla

Reaction score
Looking closer at the available accessories the electrical knockout in the frame might be for the powered "handsfree" flush plate.

DougB

Reaction score
Great point about having everything purchased. I already have all three items (carrier, flush plate, and toilet) on site and will be test fitting as I am framing that area.

The framing is a double stud on each side. I put an electrical box, 12" off the floor, attached to the outside of the double stud. I don't have a bidet, but I figured that I might as well put in an outlet. I used a 1 1/2" carbide hole saw, and made a hole in the wall tile for the water supply. I saved the 'hole' and put it back in with the same color caulk as the grout. If anyone wants to, they can cut it out with a shop knife.

houndzilla

Reaction score
I'm using 2 1/2" 16 GA metal studs - the install directions for those is a little different.

Great idea about the "knockout" for future water connection for a bidet seat! I had already placed a receptacle next to the toilet on plans so it's covered by the city and for my electrician.

DougB

Reaction score
I've never worked with metal studs. I used 2x6's - it's rock solid. Consider the force - a 200 lb person + 60 lb toilet - all cantilevered off the carrier. I'd make sure the studs were 'stiff' enough.

Make sure to take into account that the floor will be higher (with underlayment and tile) - and adjust the carrier height accordingly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd contact the carrier manufacturer and see what gauge stud they require when you go metal...some of them are just to flimsy.

houndzilla

Reaction score
Not worried about my framing choices guys. While my profession is typically derided by the trades, architects with experience do actually know a few things. There's a lot of context here that you aren't aware of regarding the existing conditions that I've labored with for a while.

I'm using 16 ga with a 7'3" span floor to joist. These things hold up building facades. They are STRUCTURAL studs, not the flimsy 25 ga. equivilant you typically find specified in commercial interior construction. With the plywood web connecting the front and rear stud assemblies they are going to be deeper and stiffer than a 2x6.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Building facades are "sheer" force on the studs. A water closet carrier is lever and I doubt that ANY metal stud would support a carrier, water closet, and user. Sometimes even wood studs are not adequate. I once had to extend the top bolts through the wall and anchor them to a 2x6 spanning several studs on the backside of the wall.

Last edited:

houndzilla

Reaction score
Building facades are "sheer" force on the studs. A water closet carrier is lever and I doubt that ANY metal stud would support a carrier, water closet, and user. Sometimes even wood studs are not adequate. I once had to extend the top bolts through the wall and anchor them to a 2x6 spanning several studs on the backside of the wall.

You are correct HJ, my example of holding up building facades isn't the appropriate example. Geberit does have installation with metal studs as apart of their installation guide, no gauges are mentioned but I'm fairly certain 16GA studs are well above their recommended thickness. In addition to using 16GA studs I plan on boxing out the studs with matching 16GA runner track. The front studs combined with the rear support studs and a plywood web (per MFR instructions) will be plenty. My plumber even remarked at the level of stiffness with just the two primary studs.

I do plan on mocking up the toilet and weighing it down to see what if anything needs to be done to reinforce after I've done all the reinforcement I'm been planning to do.

lingua

Reaction score
houndzilla,

any reason you went with the Gerberit carrier instead of the Totot?

Also, haven't bought my Aquia yet, and it sounds like Dougb mayknow this, but my carrier's left side studs will abut a block wall, leaving no room for the outlet I'd like there. Do you see any reason why the electrical outlet couldn't be located to the above/right of the bidet seat brass plug you've circled in yellow? We're planning on a bidet seat, probably aftermarket vs. Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks