Using geo with existing heat pump

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by Vinoth, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Vinoth

Vinoth New Member

I have a house under construction and just decided to use electric heat pump so that I can run it with solar.

I just found out about geo. Can the electric heat pump be used for geo ? I would like to not waste $2000 worth of electric heat pump.

Can geo power some appliances at home apart from heat and AC ? Please advise .

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Open loop or closed loop geo would use a water to air heat pump. If you have air to air heat pump there is not much geo can do to help.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Dana

Dana In the trades

Even at twice the efficiency it's unlikely that a geo system would ever "pay off" over a minimum-legal efficiency air source heat pump that's already on site and installed (or about to be installed, with the ducts already in place.) Indeed, installing enough PV solar to cover the entire heating bill with the existing heat pump is probably cheaper than replacing it with an adequate geo system.

5. Abenr

Abenr New Member

Yes. As long as it can provide hot water, it can be used for floor heating. The only prerequisite is that the power of the water heater is large enough.