Using flexible coupling for upper floor bathroom drainage pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

nmum

Reaction score
Hi all

We had a plumber replace a section of PVC drainage pipe under an upper floor bathroom in our home in Maryland.

I was kind of surprised to see that the plumber used flexible couplings.

I'm not really familiar with working with PVC pipe but can kind of see the reasons they mentioned. Where there are joists near the opening in the picture attached near the two ends of the copper pipe and left of the picture.

The section of PVC pipe that we needed replaced is that T joint and that pipe feeding into it above the copper section.

The plumber mentioned that the only other option would have involved removing the joists which was not worth it and would risk compromising the structural integrity of the floor. (or something along those lines) and assured that the flexible couplings are an industry standard and last forever.

My question is if this repair is done okay and if not what is the proper/best way to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

nmum-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2523.JPG
    IMG_2523.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 275
Last edited by a moderator:

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Hi all

We had a plumber replace a section of pvc drainage pipe under an upper floor bathroom in our home in Maryland.

I was kind of surprised to see that the plumber used flexible couplings.

I'm not really familiar with working with PVC pipe but can kind of see the reasons they mentioned. Where there are joists near the opening in the picture attached near the two ends of the copper pipe and left of the picture.

The section of PVC pipe that we needed replaced is that T joint and that pipe feeding into it above the copper section.

The plumber mentioned that the only other option would have involved removing the joists which was not worth it and would risk compromising the structural integrity of the floor. (or something along those lines) and assured that the flexible couplings are an industry standard and last forever.

My question is if this repair is done okay and if not what is the proper/best way to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
Yes
Done right according to the needed repairs. The coupling you refer to here in nj is a fernco coupling used for repairs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

Plumbing inspectors will want to see a coupling that prevents shifting of the pipes.

And why did you use a santee on it's back/side?
Not at all what I would have done.
The rubber fittings your "contractor" used are not legal couplings.
You should have also had a wye or combo fitting there.
I'm sure your "contractor" is going to be okay with the "stuff". It's not real plumbing though. Sorry that you aren't getting handyman answers here.

nmum-2.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If that photo is looking upward, they used the wrong fitting. You should not use a sanitary tee to join horizontal drain lines.

nmum

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.

Yes the picture is looking up into the ceiling.

I asked my brother in law and another contractor who confirmed rman's comment about it being standard procedure for these types of repairs.

Although from what I could find online I would've been more comfortable if they used the proflex or no hub(?) couplings because most of the information I could find online said the rubber ones were mainly for underground use. Even then I'm not sure how confident I am in couplings.

I'm not sure if the use of the sanitary tee was replacing the same fitting that was previously there. Were sanitary tees okay to use in this type of application in the early 80s?

I don't have the original fitting anymore but looking at this link:
http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com/Sanitary+Tees,+Wyes+and+Sanitary+Combos

And found this thread where it sounds like a 1970s home had horizontal sanitary tees:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/santee-vs-combo.37658/

It looks like the preferred method is a wye tee, which is a 45 degree angle, or something with a long sweep? The current fitting looks like it's pretty much where the previous one was. Anything needed at a 45 degree angle looks like it would require moving the fitting further down the pipe(again not familiar with working with pvc or piping). The contractor is coming back next week and I'll ask them for their opinion.

Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the fittings do not have the metal reinforcement, they are not proper for the interior application. An all-rubber one is only allowed underground where both ends can be supported to keep the pipe ends aligned by properly backfilling the hole.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am sure the "contractor" will be happy with his work, but since he is obviously NOT a "plumbing contractor" all he is concerned about is whether it fits together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks