Using bath shoe threaded strainer and stopper in overflow opening

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Been a lurker for a long time, but first time poster here. Thanks for all the advice.

I am cognizant that code probably says no-no and there’s the house insurance issue, but I’ll ask anyways. Please don’t bash me for it, lol.

Has anyone ever thought of or installed a drain strainer with a stopper of choice in place of the regular overflow faceplate? Of course this would mean putting a drain shoe on the overflow stack instead of the regular top.

I am totally cognizant of house insurance issues, but just wondering. I’d love to fill the tub higher than the regular overflow will allow and don’t want to use one of those temporary ugly cover things that suctions over the overflow to keep water in while bathing. It would be nice to just have a neat pop-up stopper there.

Besides forgetting to open it/over-flooding/insurance/etc issues, is there a reason from a technical perspective this isn’t normally done? The strainer is big enough to cover the overflow opening and you could install it just the same way as in the drain opening - rubber gasket behind and putty around the rim.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Overflow opening is usually larger than the drain, but if you try it and it works, post your feedback after testing out and observing. I would not recommend this over finished space underneath, under any circumstances.
Slip joint w & o are required to have permanent access either from below or otherwise through an access panel.

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Overflow opening is usually larger than the drain, but if you try it and it works, post your feedback after testing out and observing. I would not recommend this over finished space underneath, under any circumstances.
Slip joint w & o are required to have permanent access either from below or otherwise through an access panel.

Thanks for the reply.

Which slip joint are you referring to in particular?

If I were to go this route, I would have the drain shoe solvent welded to the top of the vertical overflow pipe. Everything is pvc, forgot to mention.

I will have an access panel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks