Using an abandoned water heater vent for my plumbing stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Hyrax123

Reaction score
I'm installing a mother-in-law suite in a basement. We can't tie into the main vent stack (we can't connect it high enough up). So the current plans were to find a run all the way up the third-floor. This is… well, it's a long way from the basement to the past the 3rd floor.

I had a gas water heater with a 4" possibly aluminum stack that runs up to and out chimney. It's no longer used.

I'll be tying in three sinks (kitchen, bathroom, and utility sink), a bathtub, a washer, a tub, a toilet, and a dishwasher.

Can I use that stack for venting the plumbing?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is a abandoned steel chimney of sorts? Are all of these fixtures in the basement?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume your talking about dropping dwv pipe thru the inside of the abandoned water heater vent. only problem with that is code requires support on each floor. but I think if you support it with a risor clamp at basement and support it again at attic youll be ok but . I couldnt argue that its legal.

Hyrax123

Reaction score
I assume your talking about dropping dwv pipe thru the inside of the abandoned water heater vent. only problem with that is code requires support on each floor. but I think if you support it with a risor clamp at basement and support it again at attic youll be ok but . I couldnt argue that its legal.
Yeah, I'm not sure how we'd get DWV pipe that long into the chimney -- but I think all-in-all that'll be easier than finding new routing from the basement up past a bunch of eaves, etc. We'll see what they think

JohnnyCom

Reaction score
Or drill a small hole near the bottom of the first pipe and attach a paracord or other small rope to support the stack as you lower it section by section. Then remove the cord after the pipe is supported otherwise from below.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or drill a small hole near the bottom of the first pipe and attach a paracord or other small rope to support the stack as you lower it section by section. Then remove the cord after the pipe is supported otherwise from below.
There's a good way! I wasent planning on going on roof , could be steep, poor condition, no idea what he wants to do up top, I would flash the vent where it passes to open air so water cant leak around it .
Personaly I avoid roofs most of time , especialy if he is going to have a roofer on site. 2 or 3 stories up , Id be discussing it with owner because a steep roof and 3 story be talking about more money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks