Using AAV in bathroom: help decyphering the code

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael M

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of re-modelling a bathroom, and trying to figure out what my venting options are. The original plumbing was definitely not up to any recent code.

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out the part of the IPC that talks about "branch-type air admittance valves". The IPC has the following to say:

Section 918.3.1 Individual and branch-type air admittance valves shall vent only fixtures that are on the same floor level and connect to a horizontal branch drain.

Check! My fixtures are on the same floor level and connect to a horizontal branch.

Section 918.4 Individual and branch-type air admittance valves shall be located a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented.

Here is where I'm confused. It sounds like I can put in a branch-type air admittance valve below floor level, as long as it's at least 4 inches above the horizontal branch drain. Is this correct? It seems odd to me that the code would require stack-type AAVs to be above the flood level rim of the highest vented fixture, individual-type AAVs to be above the fixture drain, but let horizontal branch AAVs be so low down. Am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited:

ye4jim

Reaction score
Related question:

Can a bathroom sink and shower share an AAV as shown? Note I forgot to show the p-trap for the shower, but it's there?

How about if the shower was downstream of the sink ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Plumb.jpg
    Plumb.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,409
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks