Using a vent behind P trap

Users who are viewing this thread

JHorack

Reaction score
I have my shower draining the opposite way of where I have an existing vent unfortunately. I came across this image venting the shower drain with almost a double back to the vent stack. Would this work?

showerdrain.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It will "work", but it is also "illegal" since it is a flat, unwashed vent.
So he JHorack would want to make sure that the vent is a 2 inch wet vent coming down from the lavatory.

JHorack

Reaction score
ah. makes sense. the other route I was thinking about going was towards the toilet and venting out that way. I have two concerns though,
1) I have to vent the toilet, but I can only go behind it (I think). this image is what I saw online as a suggestion. not sure if it's right
2) can I join the drain to the main from the shower to the toilet drain?
3) do I need to put a separate vent pipe for the shower if I use a 3" vent pipe. The only things on this vent will be the toilet and that shower
roomb.jpg
room3.jpg
room1.jpg
room2.jpg
SCP_177_22.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The stack can go within the wall, you cannot run a flat vent to the to stack. The picture from the book demonstrates how to fail a plumbing inspection.

The shower vent can go up in any wall the drain will be running below. The shower vent only needs to be 1-1\2", and once it rises to a point 42" or higher above the floor, it can then be turned to run horizontally (with pitch) to get to where it needs to go to combine with other vents or go up through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks