Using a tub diverter valve on a handshower

Users who are viewing this thread

QDSINC

Reaction score
We installed a tub diverter PB valve for use with a showerhead and a handshower. The problem we're having is that when we flip the lever from "shower" to "tub" (which in this case is the handshower) the shower continues to flow water.
P1000204.jpg

P1000205.jpg
As you can see, the shower is on the far wall (top pic) with the valve and trim along with the handshower positioned just to the left of the trim is on the pony wall (bottom pic). Did we install this valve incorrectly? I'm hoping this is a simple fix that does not require opening up the tile again. If it had to come to that, what did we do wrong? Another thought, can a volume control on the shower head to shut it off when necessary fix this issue or do we create more problems?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

That is because when you flip on the handheld shower it is EXACTLY as if you put a "valve" on it causing back pressure which forces water up and out of the shower head. A "positive" action separate diverter which turned on one or the other would not have had the problem, but a built in one does., and there is no cure for it, other than installing a separate diverter after the control valve, and repiping the shower and handheld to it. Essentially, you are looking at removing and repairing a great deal of the shower valve's wall.

QDSINC

Reaction score
We figured as much...can I use a volume control attached to the shower arm to shut off water when necessary?

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
We figured as much...can I use a volume control attached to the shower arm to shut off water when necessary?

Yes. We have a similar set up. A standard Delta tub valve with a shower head off the shower outlet and a hand held unit off the spout outlet. I have a simple on off valve on each out put. It works well and we love it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

IT would be a "cumbersome" fix and do NOT install a valve on both devices. Otherwise, someone is going to be lazy and just turn off the valve when done, instead of the shower control valve, and then you will be back here asking WHY your hot and cold water temperatures are so erratic.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned our Delta is the one with an on off lever seperate from the temp setting. Also the valves I have on the outlets do leak a bit so they work well for diverting the water where we want it but your still going to reach for the main valve when your done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks