Using 45's and lowering trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Snets

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I am OK lowering the trap on my shower drain? I want to go around a 1/2" copper pipe with some 45 degree elbows. going down to the trap. which will require me to add about three inches to the depth.

That would put the bottom of the trap at 20.5" from where the water will enter the drain at the shower floor.

The photo shows where the drain should land to be in the middle of the shower floor.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220118_005723578.jpg
    PXL_20220118_005723578.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 142
  • PXL_20220118_015637786.jpg
    PXL_20220118_015637786.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 163

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
20.5" is fine, I assume the offset you show would be used on the vertical? You'd have to lower the trap arm, vent connection, and branch drain connection the same amount (or rather enough so that the vent connection occurs before the trap arm falls more than one pipe diameter).

Rerouting the copper would probably be the more conventional solution, the offset on the shower tail piece is not very elegant.

Cheers, Wayne

Snets

Reaction score
Shower drain, down vertically through two, 45 degree bends to clear the pipe the into the 180 degree trap and into the trap arm which is unchanged from how the house was built. The 20.5" is from where water enters drain to the bottom of the 180 degree bend (trap)

Sorry, hope that clarifies. Maybe I will just reconfigure the 1/2" copper.

Snets

Reaction score
Reconfigured the 1/2" copper pipe instead of changing the drain. It was a pain in the butt because it is lower than the lowest faucet in the house, took forever to be free of water but it's done and leak-free. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks