Using 1 port on diverter to tee off into shower head & tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

cyber0066

Reaction score
I have the Brizo 75000-WS roughin. It is an integrated mixing with diverter. I have a 3-way diverter trim (T75P757) that only uses 2 of the 3 ports. I want to have a shower head, handheld and tubspout.

RdNPgdf.jpg

One port will feed the hand shower.
My question is can I use the second port to feed both the showerhead and tubspout. The tubspout will have a built in diverter. So I would tee off the second port to feed both items.

The way I would use this is to divert to the showerhead/tub. Let the water run through the tub spout. Then use the integrated diverter
I recognize that the tub spout will have lower water flow. Will the water actually flow to the shower head once the tub diverter is engaged?

Any other problems I'm not seeing here?

TCY0n13.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Both the shower head and the tub spout would flow water at the same time. There is too much restriction done this way. A diverter spout needs a full sized 1/2" line to the tub spout. Any restrictions pushes water to the shower head. And the distance needs to be fairly short.
You could use the 6-way internals with the three outputs and then the tub would be separate from the shower output.

Also, the top of the Delta rough valve is reduced in flow. You get more volume from the bottom port.
Normally when someone is doing the top for different shower outputs, the heads are reduced in flow anyway.

cyber0066

Reaction score
I was thinking that because the pipe to the tub spout is gravity driven, water would flow down into the tub spout first. Then when the tub diverter is pulled, this would then send water back up to the top of the shower head.

Also the valve/divert is all integrated as one unit and not separate units. So I can't pipe to a bottom of the mixing valve.

brizo-r75000-ws.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Regardless, the tub spout and shower head can't be on the same port with this setup.

For their standard rough R10000

Connect top outlet (1) to shower pipe with proper fittings. Connect bottom outlet (2) to tub spout pipe with proper fittings. Pipe (3) between valve body and tub spout must be a minimum of 1/2" (13 mm) copper pipe or 1/2" (13 mm) iron pipe in a straight drop no less than 8" (203 mm) but no more than 18" (457 mm) long with only one iron pipe or copper 90 degree elbow to the tub spout nipple. Do not use PEX tubing for tub spout drop. Note: There is no tub outlet in high flow models.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There MUST be a "restrictor"at the point where the spout and shower riser connect. If you use a "twin ell" at that point you can do it. ALSO, the unused port should not be capped off. Instead connect it to the piping for one of the other ports.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks