Used Propane Tank as Boiler??

Users who are viewing this thread

North Florida Dude

Reaction score
Here is the question? If I

take the valve off a propane tank from a bbq grill

leave the whole open with a 3/4 inch hole that was used for the valve.

pour water in it.

Light a log on fire under it.

I want to pipe that steam coming out of the hole to a steam room. when the log is done and burnt out.. steam session over.

can this be done safetly? thanks Yall!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
HECK NO as it is NOT rated as per ASME and if it is used for steam it can implode

North Florida Dude

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your reply but, the little warning and video you give me do not apply to my scenario. I am not going to cool the propane tank quickly. There will be no implosion. Just the water in the tank, a opening where the threaded 3/4 inch valve was and a log under the tank.

What will be the max pressure in the take with the water in it with a 3/4 hole in the top. From my math the hole is big enough to let out the steam safetly and the log fire under it does not have enough energy to cause problem. What do you think?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your reply but, the little warning and video you give me do not apply to my scenario. I am not going to cool the propane tank quickly. There will be no implosion. Just the water in the tank, a opening where the threaded 3/4 inch valve was and a log under the tank.

What will be the max pressure in the take with the water in it with a 3/4 hole in the top. From my math the hole is big enough to let out the steam safetly and the log fire under it does not have enough energy to cause problem. What do you think?
No it cannot be bone safely. How do you light one log on fire?

Fitter30

Reaction score
So u want to use a 20 lb tank to create steam heated by wood to make a steam room. Do u have any idea what would happen if the tank runs out of water gets red hot and u add water to the tank? As soon as the water would enter the tank the tank would explode from the water flashing to steam expanding 1600 times the volume of water. 3/4" hole in the tank wouldn't relieve the pressure fast enough .

North Florida Dude

Reaction score
So u want to use a 20 lb tank to create steam heated by wood to make a steam room. Do u have any idea what would happen if the tank runs out of water gets red hot and u add water to the tank? As soon as the water would enter the tank the tank would explode from the water flashing to steam expanding 1600 times the volume of water. 3/4" hole in the tank wouldn't relieve the pressure fast enough .
Great great point. I love your thinking. However, propane only expands like 19 times involume when converted to gas. water cant expand 1600 times.. Really?? And lets say that you were able to get it glowing hot like red and tried to pour water down that little 3/4 hole.. most of it would vaporize when it hits the lip of the opening. Getting any of it in there would be hard. But I could see someone doing that. LIke this.. oh my steam bath is no longer making steam... hmm why dont I go pour some more water in that tank outside. The log is still going.. shame to waste a good log.. kaaaboooomm.. Yea I can see that. So. do you have a better idea?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
However, propane only expands like 19 times involume when converted to gas. water cant expand 1600 times.. Really??
Google tells me that propane expands by a factor of 270 when vaporizing.

It also tells me that the density of steam at 100C and 1 atmosphere pressure is 0.597 kg/m^3, and water at 100C has a density of 959 kg/m^3. So the ratio is in fact 1600 times.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks