Use water outside: water Stops - Inside water does not

Users who are viewing this thread

ZachDowning

Reaction score
We have a full house well system. We have replaced almost every part of it (recommended from our contractor on a few parts)...and we still have an issue.

When we run the water OUTSIDE the house (from outdoor garden hose hookup connected to the entire house and system) our water will run for maybe 10 minutes than the entire system shuts down. The primer will prime the system(we have an auto primer) and water will restart.

We have replaced the pump in the well (didn’t help as well as put new lines into the well itself. We can’t find anyone who can figure this out and have actually considered selling our house because we would love to have a swimming pool, be able to have a hose outside for water fun, or just water the garden, grass or whatever but we cannot!

We live in Tulsa Oklahoma if anyone has ANYONE they would recommend OR give me some tips.

We have considered even drilling a new well to see if this solves this as our neighbor CAN fill his pool, use water as much as he wants and has no issues with the water stopping.

I am happy to take photos of our entire system if this would help with anyone who is a well expert! (Valve man!)

Thanks in advance and I will keep an eye on this forum!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the outside faucet is before a back flow preventer and the pressure switch is after the backflow preventer, the water will run for a minute or two and then stop until you run water in the house and the pressure switch calls for water and turns the pump on.

ZachDowning

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. How would I be able to tell if that is the case? Suggestions on WHAT to look for (I am NOT a plumber) but I know enough on what to look for if I can.

Also the water STOPS everywhere, inside the house as well and we can’t get water turned on until the pump prime’s again.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where is the outside spigot? Is it attached to the house or at the well house or a yard hydrant? Where is the pressure tank and the pressure switch. Sometimes there is a check valve near the pressure switch. I would look there work back to see if there is one. If you run the outside spigot and the water stops, then turn on the water inside and leave it on to and see if the water outside starts to flow with in about a minute you will know that is what is happening.

ZachDowning

Reaction score
Thanks, the spigot is attached to the house (in two places) one in front and one in back. We’ve lived here for years but I will try doing exactly what you suggest tomorrow.

What has happened I do know: We will run the water outside and someone will be doing dish’s inside and ALL the water will stop at the same time(or someone will be taking a shower also and have that happen)....

Reach4

Reaction score
When we run the water OUTSIDE the house (from outdoor garden hose hookup connected to the entire house and system) our water will run for maybe 10 minutes than the entire system shuts down. The primer will prime the system(we have an auto primer) and water will restart.

We have replaced the pump in the well (didn’t help as well as put new lines into the well itself. We can’t find anyone who can figure this out and have actually considered selling our house because we would love to have a swimming pool, be able to have a hose outside for water fun, or just water the garden, grass or whatever but we cannot!

How big is your casing? Can you put a submersible pump down the well? Submersible pumps don't need priming.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Since you are losing prime, I would think you are pumping the well dry. The outside faucet probably puts out more than anything in the house, and you are using more water than the well can supply. Try just turning the outside faucet on about 1/2 way and see what happens.

ZachDowning

Reaction score
I wanted to post a photo of our system just for everyone to have a peek at. I'm going to attempt to check for a clog as suggested, thanks again in advance I appreciate everyone this problem is VERY frustrating!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 755
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 495

ZachDowning

Reaction score
Since you are losing prime, I would think you are pumping the well dry. The outside faucet probably puts out more than anything in the house, and you are using more water than the well can supply. Try just turning the outside faucet on about 1/2 way and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion on that, I have done that on very low and it still stops, I have been thinking that perhaps we are pumping it dry. Would you suggest we put a camera down there when we are using it and see what happens?

Reach4

Reaction score
What do the lights on your Pump Saver Plus Model 233P-1.5-ENCL do when the pump stops?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think Reach may have put his finger on the problem. I was assuming "losing prime" and "auto prime" meant a jet pump. If that is a submersible pump you cannot be losing prime, and you wouldn't need any kind of "auto-primer". I now think your Symcom is shutting the pump off on low or high amperage, which is why the water stops.

ZachDowning

Reaction score
I think Reach may have put his finger on the problem. I was assuming "losing prime" and "auto prime" meant a jet pump. If that is a submersible pump you cannot be losing prime, and you wouldn't need any kind of "auto-primer". I now think your Symcom is shutting the pump off on low or high amperage, which is why the water stops.

So are we thinking this could be a wiring issue and we might want to replace the wires from the main breaker to the pump housing or maybe move it all together or at least test the voltage when we are drawing a lot more water than normal? (we have a spare newer breaker box closer to the well itself)....

We put the new pump saver on thinking that might "fix" this issue but it does the same. I will look at the lights when we lose water and see what I can figure out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We put the new pump saver on thinking that might "fix" this issue but it does the same.

If it did the same thing without the pump saver, it is either tripping the overload in motor or pumping the well dry. If you turn the pump off for a little while, either or both the water level in the well will come back up, and/or the overload in the motor will reset itself. Either way the pump is off for a little while then the water comes back on.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So are we thinking this could be a wiring issue and we might want to replace the wires from the main breaker to the pump housing or maybe move it all together or at least test the voltage when we are drawing a lot more water than normal? (we have a spare newer breaker box closer to the well itself)....

We put the new pump saver on thinking that might "fix" this issue but it does the same. I will look at the lights when we lose water and see what I can figure out.

Is there a reason that the pressure switch is wired to nothing ?

Good Luck.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the side of the pressure switch it says Auto, Start, Off , but there is no trip lever. Plus as Don says there is normally two sets of wires going into the pressure switch and they normally do not go in the same hole.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks