Use vent pipe as a drain for 2nd Floor Laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsopenroad

Reaction score
I have an easily accessible 2” vertical vent pipe from basement thru the 2nd floor attic; where, the 1st floor fixtures’ vent pipes connect into one vent pipe above and thru the roof. Target location for the 2nd floor laundry is an existing closet that is built partially into the attached garage’s roof line. We only need an in-wall laundry hookup. And, the back side of the interior wall has open access, with approx 10ft clear route to the 2” vent pipe from the basement.

Can I drain from the laundry p-trap into the 2” vertical vent pipe?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well then you have partial good news. You can use this pipe to tie the laundry vent into. Meaning you don't need a roof penetration, but you will have to run a seperate drain as Wayne suggests.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. But, there’s no chase in the finished walls to run a drain pipe from attic to basement.
Well, the new drain would only have to run from the laundry room to the basement.

Regardless, you can't use that vent as a drain. You either need to find a different drain on the 2nd floor to tie into (which can't be in the middle of a bathroom group that is using wet venting), or open the first floor finished walls to add the drain from the laundry room to the basement.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you used the vent for a drain, How would you vent the fixtures that currently use that vent for venting?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks