Use Sump Water For Toilet Flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

Porkus_Bellus

Reaction score
Water has gotten very expensive in my area (sewer & rain water & "Clean River" charges are based on metered water use). Since I have clean ground water in my basement sump most of the year, wondering if I can take advantage of this free resource for toilet flushing & car washing.
I would disconnect the toilet tank & outside faucet from the city water and run a separate line to the sump area. Then I would need a way to get the water out of the sump and into some kind of pressure tank. All the pumps I have looked at so far are very expensive and perhaps oversized for the job. I am experienced with electrical, copper, gas, and plastic piping but not wells or pumps.
Is this project feasible or would it cost more than it's worth? Currently the sump has a submersible pump and the discharge goes to the street.
Any suggestions or links welcome. Thanks!

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could be pumping that water into a cistern of maybe 300 to 500 gallons. Then pull from that with a jet pump to feed the toilet and hosebibbs. You will also need a bladder tank.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Then you can keep paying that large water bill. The investment in the equipment I mentioned would save you a lot of money in a short time.

bob...

Porkus_Bellus

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your helpful and intelligent suggestions. :cool: However, after having evaluated the cost vs benefit we have decided to build an out-house as a means of saving water. Please send your Sears catalogs and corn cobs. Thank You.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Remember in the winter, always be the second one into the outhouse. That way the seat will be warm.

bob...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
It might also help for everyone to bathe in the rain barrell on their ways back to the house ... and if you fit the top of it with a removable and fine screen, you will not have to deal with angry mosquitos while drying off again.

jrseaberg

Reaction score
stupid idea for solution???

Recreational vehicles sometimes use a 12 volt demand pump. Some use a "pressure bladder tank" (don't know the correct name). This might work for refilling the toilets, but I don't think they have the pressure or flow capabilities for garden hose use.

Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sears

As the farmer said when the sales person asked for the catalog number for the toilet paper he was ordering, "If I had the catalog, I wouldn't need the toilet paper."

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jrseaberg said:
Recreational vehicles sometimes use a 12 volt demand pump. Some use a "pressure bladder tank" (don't know the correct name). This might work for refilling the toilets, but I don't think they have the pressure or flow capabilities for garden hose use.

Something like that is probably even available in 110vac, and would easily work as suggested for re-filling a toilet tank. And, I believe the typical "pressure tank" for a small demand pump is simply a shock absorber to deal with water hammer.

For washing the car, a slightly larger and still-inexpensive pump could be manually switched on or off and would not need a tank if a low-set PRV was serving as a CSV to keep it running for the duration.

Porkus_Bellus

Reaction score
Great idea - I'll look at the 12-volt RV stuff. I'd be happy just to take advantage of that clean sump water without getting a home improvement loan.

This experience has taught me how important it is to have city utilities as well. Even though there are the assoicated utility bills, it's still less hassle than doing your own water testing, pumping/storage/treatment, sewage and needing a propane tank, etc.

jrseaberg said:

Jim

Alexisd3000

Reaction score
Water has gotten very expensive in my area (sewer & rain water & "Clean River" charges are based on metered water use). Since I have clean ground water in my basement sump most of the year, wondering if I can take advantage of this free resource for toilet flushing & car washing.
I would disconnect the toilet tank & outside faucet from the city water and run a separate line to the sump area. Then I would need a way to get the water out of the sump and into some kind of pressure tank. All the pumps I have looked at so far are very expensive and perhaps oversized for the job. I am experienced with electrical, copper, gas, and plastic piping but not wells or pumps.
Is this project feasible or would it cost more than it's worth? Currently the sump has a submersible pump and the discharge goes to the street.
Any suggestions or links welcome. Thanks!
I know this thread is 15 years old but I recently started pumping my Reverse Osmosis Filter Waste Water into my toilets by using a "demand" pump (and accumulator tank) to pump unpressurized water into a pressurized line to fill our toilets when needed. (Also just 'jumped' into the existing city water line, so if we lose electricity we can go back to the original setup.) I was hoping to maybe setup a similar tank using sump water. Links to the demand pump and accumulator tank (look for sales, I got the pump for $70!)

Wondering from anyone who might have experience:
1. if my sump water would be too stinky or contaminated with solids to use in toilets and my demand pump,
2. if I could find a float valve that can handle the flow/pressure of my sump. Or maybe an electric float and switch system would be best, especially if teed off super close to the sump out-line.

the RO waste water doesn't fill our flushing needs so I'm still dependant on city water to fill the toilets maybe 3/4 of the time, but I know we get a lot of sump waste water that just erodes grass as it is.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks