Use same Pump for water booster and tank filling

Users who are viewing this thread

temp122616

Reaction score
I have a water tank to fill which have a float valve, and I want to install a water booster pump that boosts the water coming out of that tank.

Usually, you install a pump on the inlet of the tank to fill it, and you install another pump on the tank outlet to boost water towards the faucets

the problem is as follow:
I need to the same pump to do both jobs, to fill the tank and to boost water out of the tank to the faucets.
How can I install such a system?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is a drawing of a cistern and booster where you can get water directly from the well pump or from the booster.
LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg

temp122616

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for putting the effort to reply.
but you didn't answer my question.

I want ONE pump to do 2 different jobs simultaneously:
1-filling the water tank (Inlet)
2-boost water to the house (Outlet)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is what I gave you. The well pump can fill the storage tank through the solenoid valve, and/or supply water to the house at the same time. You will just have to restrict the amount filling the storage tank so there is some water left for the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
I need to the same pump to do both jobs, to fill the tank and to boost water out of the tank to the faucets.
How can I install such a system?
Shallow well, I presume.

So how about using an "L valve" to switch the inputs and another to switch the output of the pump? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve

Did you want this automated, such as drawing from the tank when the well runs dry?

temp122616

Reaction score
Dear guys, this is a rough sketch showing my idea,
please, can you tell me if this works, or if there is any change to make?

photo_2019-07-03_22-49-00.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Upper water tank is >70 ft higher than the house?

I guess you are figuring a pressure tank and pressure switch on the output of the pump?

If yes, and yes, I think that would work if you add another check valve at the pump to keep the pipe to the high tank from emptying back down. Also add a shutoff valve from the upper water tank.
EDIT: I think maybe you need a check valve coming down from the upper tank to keep the water pressurizing the house from climbing into the upper tank and overflowing it.

On the other hand, you could have the pump pump only to the upper tank. Then you could have the a float switch in the upper tank to turn on the pump, rather than having a float valve. You would also want a float switch in the lower tank to inhibit the pump when the lower water tank was empty.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks