Use of salt with red out and cleaner

Users who are viewing this thread

ENIGMA-2

Reaction score
New to forum. Question I've had for awile, (years actually), concerns mixing a salt with a "red-out" additive and adding quarter maintenance using softener resin cleaner. (I use Diamond Crystal Sun Gems with red out). The cleaner is Sears brand.

Is there any problems combining the two? I've not seen any, but ran across a comment in another forum saying that the two shouldn't be mixed.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hard to say but I would not recommend it without checking the chemical compatibility. I would do it, but... I am leaving for Florida so no more time. :)

montelatici

Reaction score
I stopped using red out salt with my softener since I installed a backwashing Katolox iron filter as the Katalox filter removes any iron effectively before the water gets to the softener. However, I am told that a particular type of Rust Out, called Pro Rust Out combines the citric acid of Rust Out (which is what I think they add to red out salt) with the cleaning chemicals used in resin cleaners, so I doubt that it is harmful to use red out salt with a resin cleaner. But, I am an amateur.

ENIGMA-2

Reaction score
Okay, I've got my answer. Diamond Crystal states that its Sun Gems with red out is designed for iron removal up to 2 ppm cLear waterm iron.

For water supplies with iron above this, you should also use a resin cleaner in addition to the red out pellets. They suggest Iron Out brand, but I would imagine any product that has a similar composition would be satisfactory.

I also read that a periodic (quarterly or less if needed), is also advisable to remove all traces of any iron that may still be attached to the beads (sticky iron that the weaker red out can't oxidize properly).

So I have my answer. Use good, clean pellets with red out; and in addition, a resin cleaner quarterly or semi-annually. (I will use Sears cleaner as I trust this brand).

My softener manual also recommends sanitization when first put in service (I didn't do this) and may be needed with some water types periodically (annually or bi-annually I would guess).

To do this, you pour 2 tablespoons od Clorox down the down the brinewell and immediately run a cycle. (Can be done with or without salt). So I'll add this to my regular softener service.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bannerman

Reaction score
To do this, you pour 2 tablespoons od Clorox down the down the brinewell and immediately run a cycle. (Can be done with or without salt). So I'll add this to my regular softener service.
Never add chlorine to any of the additive salts or any of the resin cleaners. The salt additives and resin cleaners contain acids to loosen and clean away iron deposits. Acid and chlorine are not compatible and will cause an immediate reaction including toxic fumes.

Last edited:

ENIGMA-2

Reaction score
Good advice, the manual allows on-going sanitization and the use of salt with red out, but never made the connection concerning the combination.

I'm currently running a test for bacteria in my water. If the test comes back negative, (which i expect ot will), I'll forget about doing any sort of disinfection.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The purpose of sanitizing the softener initially is not due to the water conditions, but is related to handling the equipment during manufacturing and assembly by various people. Consider an assembler who just had a bathroom break, didn't wash-up but then returned to assemble your valve internals.

ENIGMA-2

Reaction score
The manual talked about bacteria clinging to rust under "certain" water conditions. Referenced to the Water Quality Association. "On some water supplies, the water softener may need periodice disinfection".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks