Use of registered names like ROMEX® on this forum, this is a poll

How should we treat the brand ROMEX®

• Star out and censor the word, problem solved!

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Have moderators add the ® sign

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Ignore the entire issue. Do other manufacturers do this?

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tell posters how to add the ® o they can use it with Romex®, Disposal®, Fernco® and the other tr

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Beverly Cofield sent me this email about users of this forum and the use of the brand name ROMEX®
Apparently, you people posting are not adding the trademark behind the brand name.

So the question I have for you is this. To keep them happy, should I just star out the brand name to keep it from being misued?
That would be very easy for me to do, and then I wouldn't have to babysit their business here. We could just pretend the brand name didn't exist here.
What do you think, Star out the brand name, or have the moderator babysit their brand name. It's not like anyone is offering to pay us for the babysitting.

Hello. It has come to the attention of Southwire Company that you and the participants of your forum page are using the trademark name "ROMEX" on at least the following web page:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43642-romex-cable-color-changes

As ROMEX is a registered trademark of Southwire Company, we ask that you please begin using the ® after ROMEX on your Chat page and state on your message board that ROMEX® is a registered trademark of Southwire Company.

Please make the following changes:
Thread: ROMEX®/cable color changes
We understand that you may be unable to control all usage of the mark ROMEX on your chat page. However, if it’s your preference not to make the adjustments mentioned above, please cease use of the ROMEX mark and encourage your forum participants to make reference to NMB instead of using the federally registered ROMEX trademark when referring to NMB cable in general.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. If this change is not made within ten days we will contact you again to check on your progress.

Thanks,

Beverly Cofield, Law Clerk
Southwire Company
770-832-5707

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
There are a lot of websites that Sell The Romex® Products and they don't use the ® on their website.

I say Ban the name and do not support that name brand.

Also Buy different brands when at all Possible.

Terry Love Plumbing® has better thing to do rather than being a Romex® babysitter.

You should ban Southwire Company® also, So that nobody steals than name.

Sounds like Beverly Cofield® is getting board at her job and she has a "Need to see Romex®" complex to me.

Their website is one of the few using it, That I see.

DonL®

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I say screw Bev, and they should be thrilled to get free advertising.

Romeex-bandaaids-kleeenex have all become generics now.

She has plenty of time on her hands to write here, because romolex sales are down about 80% from our depression. Most wire is getting stolen from foreclosed half finished houses, so you can buy it on theftbayy now.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can star out the name using the banned words controls, and then we can just spell it wrong, while everyone will still know what we are talking about. There is enough baby-sitting to be done already.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have bought and recommend that brand for many years.

I will never do it again.

Can you say, I shot myself in the foot ???

I would be very proud to have my trademarks allowed on Terry's Forums®, Free of charge.

Terry has it together when it come to Searching the net. Great Job by all.

Removing the RoTex® brand would give that Company a lot less hits.
Then Beverly® could find something better to do.

They maybe searching out sites with Logos® on them.

I am waiting to find out her background and if she is for sure enough real.

DonL®

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, free advertising is a horrible thing. Star it out. %#$ them!

-rick

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My isn't Beverly touchy today. Very simple. No more whatchacallit!. Since they probably sell it at blue and orange, that would be consistent with our preference not to shop at those places.

We will need speedey and jw to give us some alternate brandnames ® to purchase. Sayonara Beverly.

What happens when we mention Price Pfister, or Moen, or whatever??? Will Terry be getting more nasty lawyer letters???
And I think that never-to-be-mentioned wire company is quite cheeky to harrass Terry with a letter from a ^#$&* clerk! What do you have to do to get a letter from a Lawyer-bless-his-heart!

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Nathan got this over at ET.com as well.
I personally think Romex is shooting themselves in the foot with this and being absolutely petty. They are throwing away free advertising and alienating their core customer base at the same time.
What a bunch of punk lawyers they must have.
I hope they read ALL the negative comments about this. There are a LOT of them!

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Either that or you can officially tell all of us that we HAVE to make this "change". Then we cal all ignore it. :cool:

How the hell do they expect you to force everyone to make this "change"??? Other than blocking their name.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Sounds like Beverly Cofield® is getting board at her job and she has a "Need to see Romex®" complex to me.

Not really, she is doing what she is paid to do. The legal people have the same problem with Disposal®, Scotch Tape ®, Fernco ®, Transite ® when it was a major product, Fridgidaire®, etc. IF they do NOT do their job the word/term enters the public domain and they LOSE their copyright protection for it.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
So what is the threat of ignoring them?

Places like this are the same as any other hang out. When hanging out at the supply house do you say "Give me two rolls of romex, trademark"??? NO, you don't.

This is all just a bunch of legal BULL SH*T. It is justification for *^%#@ lawyers to make themselves feel worthwhile.

BandAid is the biggest one of these things and they still have their copyright, don't they.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
having your brand name become the standard way to refer to things is the best free advertising that money can't buy. there's no way that omexRa (yeah, thats right... rockin the pig-latin) is in any danger of losing their trademark.

screw them. can you set an autocorrect on the forum that just takes "xemoR" out and replaces it with another brand name? with no trademark? until they complain and lose their free advertising too...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Patent, trademark, and copyright law is an enourmously complex field. Those lawyers get the BIG $$$$$ so I guess they have the last laugh on this. I do think it is true that no matter how stupid we think it is, it is necessary for a company to protect their tradename. I don't think kleenex ( occupy my ® !) is necessarily happy about the general use of that name by folks who may actually be requesting or purchasing a competitor product. I can remember that places like fast food restraurants that sold PEPSI would correct you if you asked for a "coke". They would say.."is Pepsi OK??". I think someone named Beverly from coke was breathing down their throat. It seems they all just sell coke now, so that doesn't come up!!!!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, Bev, but you are just a few decades too late! The term "romex" has been in the public domain as a synonym
for nonmetallic sheathed cable for at least that long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks