Use of Conductive Grease on an Indirect Temperature Sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The indirect I have has a quite deep well for the temperature sensor to the boiler control. There's a spring that came with it to help grip and hold the sensor (I think), but the actual well seems to be stepped, and you can actually push the sensor in 3-4" further into that smaller diameter area than the spring clip will pass.

The installation manual doesn't really describe the proper insertion of the temperature sensor. Flopping around without direct, intimate contact would seem to be moderately inaccurate.

Right now, while the spring clip helps to hold the cable, the actual sensor is pushed to the bottom of the sensing well, but there's no conductive grease in there.

Does adding some conductive grease make a difference? Is it worthwhile? Or, is having the spring clamp holding the sensor verses the wire, where it isn't anywhere near as deep in the well what they had in mind?

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'll get more accurate and timely readings if you use a generous supply of the thermal compound.

Trust me on this... were disposable gloves when working w/that stuff... it's nasty and difficult to get off your skin....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks