Use of 100% silicone sealant

Users who are viewing this thread

mf915

Reaction score
i'm going to be installing new faucets, bath sink and kitchen sink, kitchen bowls... Is it recommended to use silicone sealant
1) under bath pop-up drain
2) kitchen strainer
3) underneath the border of kitchen bowl
4) underneath the faucets

As far as I see, most of the above already have some sort of rubber gasket. Is it still necessary to use silicone sealant ??

THanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Under the sink. Use plumber's putty under the drain. IF the other things have gaskets, they probably don't need any.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
silicone

Do you ever intend to remove any of these? If so, silicone will make it either difficult or impossible, without a great deal of time and effort, and even then it would be a question if it could be done without damaging the sink or tub.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Gaskets don't work well.

I use plumbers putty on everything but marble and imitation marble so sometimes you may need to use clear silicone caulk. You may want to use a colored calk under a sink flange.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with plumber1 about the plumbers putty. If you do use caulk don't use silicone because like hj said you will have problems if you have a problem and have to remove it. If you do use caulk you should not run any water for a couple of days to allow it to dry well.

mf915

Reaction score
thanks for the response...
i'll go with putty then....
If the faucets/sink drain/strainer already have rubber gasket, should I put plumber's putty underneath the gaskets ? Or should I take out the manufactuer's gasket ?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
no putty should be added to purposefully contact the gasget. Putty goes on 1 side (top) the gasget on the other (bottom).

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do what Cass said: Use plumber's putty only under the top portion of a lavatory pop-up, basket strainer, or garbage disposal flange, and use the rubber gasket underneath to make a good seal.

I never use anything but sink clamps to anchor a kitchen or lavatory sink for the reason Hj mentioned--it will be a bear to remove it when the time comes.

I've only used silicone to seal around a faucet once, because that particular faucet didn't come with a plastic base like every other faucet comes with.

Having said all that, I'm trying to find excuses to use the G.E. Bio Seal mildew-resistant silicone II product. It's the easiest caulk I've ever worked with. When you get it on your hands, 99.9% of it wipes off with a paper towel. So you only need to actually wash your hands once--after you are all done. When I use the cheap acrylic latex stuff, I find myself washing it off my hands all the time.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I used that stuff on my new granite countertops; worked great -- no muss, no fuss.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks