Use multi san-tee for drainage with top inlet plugged?

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Say I have a set of horizontal drains (already vented) converging towards a single location and I want to combine them and turn downward into a single vertical drain.

If it's just two drains approaching from opposite directions, I could use a double quarter bend. But suppose it's a different configuration (two drains approaching at right angles, or three drains). And suppose I have a single or double san-tee with the appropriate sanitary side inlets (not straight). Is there anything wrong with using the san-tee to connect all the drains, and just plugging the unused top inlet?

I can't think of any code issue, but I'm not familiar with all the code sections.

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen it, probably for the same reason you don't use a double santee on back to back lavatories, the drain snake will go straight through to the other side and not down the stack. A double wye may be a different story, but I'm not a code official so I can't say.

Reach4

Reaction score
just plugging the unused top inlet?
Might be better if you could run a cleanout into that top inlet. That way a snake from the side is not needed to rod on down.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might be better if you could run a cleanout into that top inlet. That way a snake from the side is not needed to rod on down.
That is a practical suggestion if the cleanout would be accessible or easily run to an accessible location.

For the case of a single san-tee with a sanitary side inlet, snaking shouldn't be a problem. Would a double quarter bend have the same snaking issue as a double san-tee?

Obviously wyes would be better, so this question is of practical use only for the case that the required configuration can't be achieved with wyes in the space available.

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've snaked more than a few drains that were connected by double santee and almost always came out the other side, the last one were two restrooms connected in the middle with a santee and the snake ended up coming up in the other toilet. A side in let tee is different because the drains are at right angles to each other. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks