Use a Donut or Replace Cast Iron Drain Cleanout? In Wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

EricJ

Reaction score
Hi, all.

Bit of a newbie but been using this resource for years. Thanks, Terry. The internet at it's best. Question - I'm remodeling the family kitchen and could use some guidance. I'm replacing the Sanitary T for the sink and planned on using no-hub couplings to mate new ABS to the existing galvanized vent and cast iron drain in the floor

I made the cuts but the remaining galvanized "stub" slid right out of the cast-ion hub. That was unexpected. I thought about cleaning out the lead and oakum, and using a donut to make the connection. But...it will all be covered and I'm not sure that meets code? Thoughts?

Or, is my better option to cut out, and replace the entire CI cleanout, replace with ABS and make my connection down stream under the house?

ericj-0245.jpg

ericj-0244.jpg

Insight always appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABS or PVC are much better at not getting clogged than is cast iron. The inside wall surface is just less rough. But it is perfectly OK. to use the existing CI. Where you make the connection to a hub doesn't matter, its fine to bury a donut in the wall, its approved for that application. The cleanout should be accessible without tearing into any wall, such as stubbed out in the cabinet or behind an access panel. It should be within 20ft of a crawl space entrance if it has to be under the floor. If you're installing new pipe for the kitchen sink, I like to have my cleanout above my sink stubout so that you could run the snake down the cleanout while leaving the sink connected to run and flush water down the drain.

EricJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, TR. You mentioned the cleanout. The existing daylights to the front of house. Here are a couple pics. You can also just see in tucked under the hub. I'd really like to avoid having to remove and mortar in a replacement, but if the donut idea fails, not the worst to tackle. Here's another pic of the future sink T connection from the CI to the galvanized vent. Anything to be concerned about?

Again, my big concern is the donut behind the wall. Anyone else have an opinion? All are appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks