Urine smell coming out of toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Kbranger

Reaction score
help please!! We have a brand new house, completed in October, so we are the first owners. The secondary bathroom has an overwhelming urine type smell coming out of the toilet bowl. We have a teenage daughter and a baby, my husband has never used that restroom al I don't think its an aim issue. We have a well and a septic tank. Any advice?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
replace the wax seal if the toilet has been there for a few years (versus a new one that was just installed.)

Kbranger

Reaction score
replace the wax seal if the toilet has been there for a few years (versus a new one that was just installed.)
It's a brand new one. The entire house is new construction. I have a plumber coming Friday, in the meantime, the smell is starting to come out into the hall

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you maybe mean around the bowl? Maybe a construction worker missed a few times. If it is the wax ring leaking, I would expect a different smell, but maybe you are not practiced identifying sewer gasses.

Clean the floor around, the toilet, and maybe be ready to quickly clean under the toilet when the plumber lifts the toilet. I would consider using a chlorine bleach solution, following the directions on the bottle.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
If it's a new toilet then the toilet could be defective. If it's the same model as one in another room, then swap the toilets and install new wax rings. If the smell moves to the other room then you have a bad toilet bowl. If the smell stays with the same room then you will need to look at your plumbing, perhaps find a leak somewhere.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since the house is new, I'm suspecting these are builder grade toilets. Not to say a quality toilet couldn't have a defect, but the cheap builder grades would be more likely to have a problem.

YerWelcome

Reaction score
It's a brand new one. The entire house is new construction. I have a plumber coming Friday, in the meantime, the smell is starting to come out into the hall
We had this issue for a few years and tore the bathroom apart before we realized what it was. Short story is that in the tub next to the toilet the trap water had evaporated and sewer gases were coming back out of the tub drain. The tub is seldom used and now we remember to just run the water a second each month. Could have saved a lot of money if we'd had figured this out sooner. It was worse in the winter, presumably because the sewer air was warmer than the outside air and so it climbed the pipe.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
One should run water in a seldom used bathtub or shower at least once a month. In my case I will typically see little spiders crawling out. Some see water bugs. Others have seen scorpions in the bottom of their bathtubs. If bugs can come out then chances are sewer gas can come out. I will typically pour a cup of vinegar down an unused drain to kill off the bacteria that bugs love to eat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks