Urinal leaks at spud

Users who are viewing this thread

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Hi Gang. There is a urinal at work that leaks. My problem is this. On the top, there is a compression grommet that seals the top from leaking when flushed. There is a sloan/royal flush valve that supplies the water. As you can see in the picture, I have raised the escutcheon to show a partial pic of the rubber grommet.

1.) Is there a specific name for this part so I can search grainger for it?

2.) Is this grommet included/part of the urinal or the flush valve assy? Separate?

Thanks!

Attachments

• urinal.jpg
    urinal.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,581

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Gang. There is a urinal at work that leaks. My problem is this. On the top, there is a compression grommet that seals the top from leaking when flushed. There is a sloan/royal flush valve that supplies the water. As you can see in the picture, I have raised the escutcheon to show a partial pic of the rubber grommet.

1.) Is there a specific name for this part so I can search grainger for it?

2.) Is this grommet included/part of the urinal or the flush valve assy? Separate?

Thanks!

Its a urinal spud and can be purchased separately.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a 1x3/4" urinal spud, and you might have better luck at a plumbing or hardware store. However, the only reason it would normally "pull out" of the urinal would be if the flush valve is "jumping up" when it flushes.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
am I wrong? I was under the impression that it was a compression type. The nut, or sleeve seems to expand it. It is split!
Thank you everyone for the input!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The nut, or sleeve seems to expand it. It is split!

Once it is inserted into the urinal so it is sitting on the top of it, there is NO reason for it to "split" or pull out, like that one is, unless the whole assembly is pulling it upwards.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. The old rubber is very old and extremely hard. It was split at the rear. I suppose I could have just replaced the seal, but after removing the spud, it looked very corroded and for $12 bux, I just ordered one from grain*er.com since we have an account there.

urinal-spud-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks