Upstairs toilet & shower drain into kitchen sink. Basement sink drains ok to sewer

Users who are viewing this thread

dagrappler

Reaction score
Plumbing question. This is a house built in DC in 1947. It has a single stack in the far right back of the house. The house has 3 levels (basement, 1st floor, and 2nd floor) Basement floor has toilet and a shower. These items are properly draining. However, there is a problem with the kitchen sink. Water from the upstairs shower and toilet coming into the kitchen sink. Plumber came over and snaked the kitchen drain 15 feet and could not release the clogg. Plumber told me that the drain needs to be snaked to the sewer and that would cost me $400. I told him that the basement floor is draining fine so I do not think that it where the problem is. My guess is that there is an obstruction lodged between the 2nd floor and 1st floor that does not allow water to flow downward past where the kitchen drain joins the main drain stack. Or the obstruction could be right below where the kitchen drain joins the main drain stack. The basement has an accessible cleanout. Plumber says that he will pull the upstairs toilet and snake from there tomorrow. Am I correct in my thinking? Do you access the draining cleanout or access by pulling toilet upstairs to clear this clogg? He says that the kitchen drain pipe is too small for what he needs to do. I have already paid the first plumber and do not wish to ripped off again. Please let me know what you think.

darryle

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but if your kitchen drain join the main drain stack. Perhaps the problem could be in the kitchen drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks