UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) for a Takagi TK-3

Users who are viewing this thread

KI7OM

"Retired" HVACR contractor - currently university
Reaction score
I have a TK-3 installed and am considering installing a UPS on the AC power line to the unit. This would provide a power backup for a limited amount of time should we loose power. It is unlikely that we would lose our natural gas supply and electrical service at the same time. I have a number of UPS options available to me, something in the 1500 VA range, and know how to safely do the electrical work. Are there any special considerations I am not aware of? I have tried to find a contact at Takagi where I could send this question but so far I have not been successful.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
The installation directions state that it can be connected to a plug-in, but I could not find anything there about amperage draw.
I'm not sure this is the right specs page to match your unit, but it shows a max consumption of about 111 watts, so you just need to pick a UPS that matches your needs. http://www.takagi.com/media/48120/T-K3-OS.pdf

Most consumer UPS's are sold to keep computers running only long enough for a graceful shutdown, so they sometimes provide power for about 30 minutes or less. You can buy bigger ones, but it could get quite expensive.

Bruce

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some electronics don't like the shape of the output from less sophisticated UPS devices. IMHO, you probably want to consider one that is always running off of the UPS, rather than a switching one, and one that creates a true sine-wave output. Those cost more, but your power to the tankless will be about as clean as it gets. That can also be an issue if you live where there are lots of lightning storms. I'm also an advocate of whole home surge suppression devices and additional ones on high value/critical function devices.

That load listed is probably a maximum, and only when the thing is actually running, producing hot water. It's standby value may not be all that high, especially if it is green star rated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks