Uponor UV resistance

Users who are viewing this thread

arbor1

Reaction score
I’m finishing up a repipe on my home with Uponor PEX-A that I started about two months ago. Unfortunately due to some delays and unforeseen additional work I did not get get to cover the exposed pipe with insulation until recently.

I’m using the blue and red coated Uponor and a decent amount of the pipe was exposed to filtered sunlight through glass block windows for the past two or so months.

Did I push the limits of the UV resistance of the colored PEX too far? Uponor’s website says six months for the colored pipe but the install manual says three.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Direct sunlight is not ok. With it being inside and filtered through a window, I would think it is fine but some professionals may weigh in.

Reach4

Reaction score
With regular panes of glass taking out most UVB, I cannot see a glass block window passing significant plastic-damaging UV.

arbor1

Reaction score
To update, I heard from the folks at Uponor. They advised that red and blue coated AquaPex has a six month UV resistance. They essentially told me not to worry about my installation and to proceed with insulating the tubing to prevent future exposure. Thanks to all for the responses here!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks