Uponor expansion Tool question

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiton

Reaction score
I am about to purchase an Uponor hand expander used, I have a crimp system now but feel like the expansion work done by the first plumber I had in is a better method.

Am I over working this? Is the difference worth changing over for?
In this case it means a 3 hour drive to the next decent size city, for the tool and big bag of fittings.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Both systems work. The hand expansion tool will give you a good workout, and if you need to do a lot, you'll wish for the powered version. But, doing some, like a typical DIY'er, you can rest when you wish.

I like the expansion system as it allows the tubing to do what it wants, to contract back to its original size, and the ID of the typical fitting is slightly larger so it has less restrictions. The crimp is working against the natural tendency of the tubing to return to the original size, and must be placed properly, and not too tight and not too loose (course, the expansion reinforcement ring needs to be placed properly, too) to work properly.

As to whether one is better than the other is somewhat a personal opinion, but the expansion system does have less restrictions, and that by itself may be worth the difference.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
The tools required for the PEX piping are just ridiculous. They are not practical whatsoever, especially in tight spaces. Ive come from the UK where we have push fit plastic piping. No tools required. So much easier to work with and its been going strong for the past 20 years or so I believe. The manufacturer is John Guest. Ive seen it in Canada in the last few months but only as 1/4" tubing. Maybe it will take off when people see how easy it is to work with.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another advantage to the Uponer system is that if you do have a drip, a little heat from a heat gun on the joint will shrink the ring a little and get rid of the leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Our wholesalers have John Guess fittings, and they do work good, although they, and Sharkbites, are bulky to make a lot of connections with. We consider both of them a "repair" item, not a "new construction" method of joining pipes.

Kiton

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and drove to get the expander. It came with a bag of about 140 1/2" and 3/4" fittings.
I am not a huge fan of Sharkbite, there are 2 SB fittings in my house and I will try to hold it at that.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks