Uponor discolored

Users who are viewing this thread

GL77

Reaction score
The Uponor that connects to the line from my water heater is turning yellow. Is it normal for it to discolor from heat or is this a sign of trouble? It's a couple years old. I keep the water heater (tankless) at 125. You can see the normal color of the other line in the photo.

Attachments

• uponor-discolored.jpg
    uponor-discolored.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 335

Reach4

Reaction score
That is probably iron from the water. I expect you do not have a water softener. Well water, right?

The pipes upstream of this pipe are probably not translucent.

GL77

Reaction score
This is the only place the pipe has become discolored. I don't have a problem with iron in my water. I'm on city water. I do have sediment but I have a sediment filter before the pipes branch off to anything else. Could it be something within the tankless that is causing staining?

Reach4

Reaction score
This is the only place the pipe has become discolored. I don't have a problem with iron in my water. I'm on city water. I do have sediment but I have a sediment filter before the pipes branch off to anything else. Could it be something within the tankless that is causing staining?
If it were heat, I would expect the effect to be larger nearer the WH. On the other hand, you normally don't put pex within 18 inches of the WH.

Is there any galvanized pipe in the path, including before the WH? Galvanized pipe attracts a magnet.

GL77

Reaction score
if flex is an 18 incher it meets code.
Thanks, yes it's 24" of flex bent in a loop that connects to the Uponor.

I do have some galvanized fittings where the line from the meter comes into the house but this is the only place the Uponor is discolored, right after the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks