upgrading water service

Users who are viewing this thread

ronyork7

Reaction score
I live in new jersey, and they go by the national plumbing code. I just started a small addition adding a bathroom and a bedroom. I have a standard single family home with kitchen, 2 full baths, and laundry room. The inspector says that because I'm adding the new bathroom I must upgrade my main water supply line to 1". I currently have a 3/4" line going into a 1" meter and have a 1" branch line supply my cold water lines. Is this nessasary to dig up my 3/4l and replace it 1". Does anyone know the requiements when doing addition work on a home and when the inspector can require you to upgrade your older service. I thought that the exsiting part of the house was excluded from the new code requirements. Please someone help. They want 6000 to replace it and the bathroom plumbing was only 2000.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is you are adding enough fixtures to bump up the pipe requirements. On the home page of this forum you can find a link to a chart that will list all of the information you need to determine the pipe size required for your home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

That is a common problem when you add to the plumbing system, and it is not "grandfathered" in just because it is already there. In some cases the main sewer line has to be increased in size also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks