Upgrading toilets to Toto

Users who are viewing this thread

DannyDan

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have in my home these Sterling 402081 (elongated) installed by the builder, which are absolutely horrible at flushing:
https://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/sterling/pdf/1110492_4.pdf
I would like to get them replaced with the Toto Drake CST744S (also elongated).
My only concern is, I don't have any more material for the flooring and my concern is if the newer toilet is smaller than the old one (which I cannot tell) it may leave a hole?
Anyone have experience making this kind of replacement?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
What type of flooring do you have in the rooms where these toilets are located? Normally toilets are installed on top of the finish flooring, which is run up to the edges of the toilet flange in the floor - which means any replacement toilet would not leave any open area around the base. Since it sounds like this is new construction you should be fine. Post some pictures of the area around the toilet base if you're still concerned.

There are cases where folks doing remodels have left the toilet in place and tiled up to it, in which case you probably would have a problem fitting a replacement toilet in the footprint of the old one - but that doesn't sound like your situation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I believe the CST744S covers more of the floor. And works a ton better than the Sterling.
There is no hole, like mentioned above, toilets sit on top of the floor.

DannyDan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Also attaching photos as requested.
We did replace our flooring after the house was built but I believe the contractor had to remove the toilets.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171122_090627.jpg
    MVIMG_20171122_090627.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 250
  • MVIMG_20171122_085727.jpg
    MVIMG_20171122_085727.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 253

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Done properly, the only place there will not be finished flooring is where the waste pipe comes through the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While they often don't replace the toilet flange...it is designed to be installed on top of the finished floor. It's harder to cut the flooring to match up with the shape of the toilet. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes, but most anyone that knows anything finds that it's easier to remove the toilet when doing the flooring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks