Upgrading Shower Plumbing Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jbrisgel

Reaction score
I have removed a 1 piece 30 year old Fiberglass shower. I am replacing it with a new Fiberglass pan and using Green Board to adhere the new precast tile looking walls.

The existing plumbing was attached to the ouside of the 2x4 inside the wall mostly because the 1 piece Fiberglass bowed out and gave sufficinet room.

When I put up my new green board it will cover the existing copper pipes but will have the Valve and the Stems sticking out much farther than the Fiberglass. I do not know if a flange will cover this extra distance.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should just re-route the copper and maybe convert my Hot / Cold handles into a single handle?

Also is it typical for the coper to go through the 2x4 stud or behind it?

BTW - because I removed the old shower the entire wall is open exposing all of the Copper so its easy to re-route if that is recommended.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most likely you could not properly trim out the valve where it is now. Since you have the walls open, this is the perfect time to upgrade to a new single handle with scald-guard. The new valve will have instructions on where to set the depth in relation to the final finished wall.

jbrisgel

Reaction score
thanks

That is more or less what I thought - that I would need to redue the copper and merge them into 1 knob. Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also note, greenboard has been recognized as ineffective in a shower as a backing, and in most places is no longer recommended or allowed. I'd consider cement board with a vapor barrier behind it as the backing for the shower wall panels.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks