Upgrading plumbing in 1950’s ranch

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting idea, Jeff.

Before I remodeled my bathroom several months ago, I also had a 1960s valve with separate hot and cold handles. I dealt with the scalding problem by just setting my water heater at 120F and then only using the hot lever in the shower without turning on the cold side. The downside is that with the lower water temperature that we would run out of hot water sometimes with back-to-back showers.

same concept, but this would only lower at the shower. Some people never fix things , and others cant leave anything alone. I wouldn't waste my time on this with pressure gages or repipe though just change the valve , turn heater down , or try something like i suggested or kinda think it through a bit more but I think it would work

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Moen one appears to be metal and not plastic so I'd def go that route. Thanks!

I was just throwing that out there that Moen made one there are after market plates as well Smitty (brand) was a popular one years ago .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen has a TL2368EP trim that works with a Moen Posi-Temp valve that makes for a very clean replacement of a two or three handle tub faucet.

tl2368ep_repair_5.jpg

moen-tl2368ep-replacement-05.jpg

Hillbilly Bob

Reaction score
OK, this is more a question than an answer.

Could an upstream pressure-balancing valve like this one solve Korndawg's problem?

https://www.amazon.com/In-Line-Remote-Pressure-Balance-Valve/dp/B002ECVZTW

This valve should create a flow plunge rather than a temp spike when someone flushes. With access from below or behind, it could be installed without tile damage. I have a cottage with a similar setup, except with 3 knobs (diverter in the middle). It likewise has a beautiful mudset tile job I don't want to damage, though pink in my case. I would love to pressure-balance the shower.

Does anyone have experience with such a beast? I never even imagined one before Dawg's post. It's not true thermostatic like Jeff suggested, but at least it might be safe and make it so you don't have to set your water heater to tepid.

Thanks,

HB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks