Upflow vs Downflow

Users who are viewing this thread

dagoodru

Reaction score
We've been in our new home for about 3 years now. We are on a shared well in the neighborhood with a water filtration membrane servicing almost 300 homes managed by the water company. It's like our own little private water system. But, we are on a limestone overlay and my water hardness is measuring 11-12 gpg in a 5 bedroom, 4 bath home. Iron is zero. Ph is 8. Our water usage this summer was around 200gallons per day, but I want to have a solution that is flexible enough to handle low consumption when the kids move out, or higher consumption if we move and sell the house to a larger family.

I'm pretty handy, having finished my own basement, including plumbing a bathroom (yes I passed inspection), so I want to install a Water Softener. The pipe where I'd hook this up is 1".

A quick google for water softeners and Fleck comes up a lot. Another one that keeps coming up is "Discount Water Softeners" with their Genesis line, claiming that their upflow systems are more efficient and saves money in the long run and they actually sell and do comparisons to the Fleck systems. The company is not the Original Manufacturer, they are just rebranding something else. The control valve appears to be a Clack. From their website:

"The Genesis Upflow, high efficiency water softeners are manufactured by a company that has been in business for over 50 years. They have offices available in the USA and Canada. Discount Water Softeners is the only company to carry the Genesis name, and we currently only sell our line through our website. For proprietary reasons, we are not authorized to list the manufacturer on our website, but the parts are readily available as well as warranty and support."

Questions, questions, questions:

Any opinions out there about upflow vs downflow? Is upflow really that much better?

Anybody run into Genesis or know the OEM? Any opinions/thoughts on the Genesis systems (i'm looking at the Revolution due to the 1" pipe)?

Opinions on the Fleck systems (probably the 5600SXT but I also am looking at the 2510SXT)?

Reach4

Reaction score
Opinions on the Fleck systems (probably the 5600SXT but I also am looking at the 2510SXT)?
I bought a system using the Fleck 5810 controller. It is not as advertised on the web due to ad restrictions. I have a 5600SXT on my iron+H2S backwashing filter. With 3/4 inch plumbing, the 5600SXT is probably just fine, and costs less. The 5810 has bigger passages, and would be better for 1 inch plumbing. It is startling when it starts regen if you are right next to it. 5600SXT has a soft start.

I like that the 5810 uses soft water for the brine refill.

I have a friend who bought the Genisis. He had to make 2 repairs to fix controller leaks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Fleck and Clack and sometimes Autotrol are the brands commonly recommended on this site. I understand the Genesis is not a Clack but maybe a brand produced offshore.

Much of what you find online is marketing hype. While upflow brining can add some marginal efficiency, in practice, it can be more problematic than downflow. Similar efficiency can be realized in down flow brining by programing 2 backwashes which is now a common capability in newer control valves.

The Fleck 5600 series is an old design which is quite reliable, which is why it remains popular. The 5600 also remains available online and so it remains a popular choice for DIYers. Fleck similar to Clack, now restrict the sellers of their newer valves.

High salt efficiency can be achieved on almost any model through programing the salt dose and capacity to be regenerated.

Last edited:

blaze4545

Reaction score
The Genesis is not a Clack system, but actually their build using the Hydrotech 785HF Control valves. I believe they are sold by Canature in the States, Hydrotech in Canada, Novatek through plumbing stores. The valve seems to be pretty high end, advertising efficiency close to the Ecowater/ Aquamaster softeners, but I have never installed any so cannot comment on it's efficiency and reliability in reality. We sell the system assembled by Hydrotech for $1200CAD, could definitely make it cheaper if we built it ourselves sourcing our own parts so that seems like a good price Genesis is advertising.

Our rep did a tear down on the valve and it is built with a one piece spacer stack assembly, mounted horizontally much like the clack and a little like the 5810 Flecks. Only issue I found is that the bypasses are a bit harder to turn since they are smaller. You are supposed to use a rubber like allen key to help assist in the turn, but if the bypass hasn't been routinely turned or there is alot of iron and sediment, it can be pretty tough.

The upflow advantages seem to be more of a sales pitch for residential applications. Yes, in theory upflow brining is more efficient, but in reality the average residential homeowner will not notice the difference. I feel that the upflow brining benefits are more for industrial or municipal applications.

We work on alot Fleck 5600SXT/ 5600 units as they seem to be pretty common in Ontario. They are installed by alot of plumbers who are not educated in water treatment, i.e installing a 30k grain softener with carbon to remove 10ppm of iron and 35 grains of hardness with 1" plumbing, So we are having to replace clogged injector screens, pistons and seal assemblies etc. We are having to do this about every 5 years on the undersized units. The Fleck 5600SXT/ 5600 controlled softeners which were installed properly, we are servicing them at 15 years and pulling them. It is a well known unit coming from a manufacturer which makes great quality items.

Do some research into the Fleck 5800. My cost is $40 less than the 5600SXT so I'd imagine you could find it for the same price as a 5600SXT. It is basically and upgraded version of the 5600SXT with easier servicing and an upgraded piston.

intel2020

Reaction score
I was in a similar spot with needing a new water treatment solution for pretty good city water, just very hard (~21 gpg). Saw all of the online systems you reference. This forum is by far the best I have found on the Internet for residential water treatment solutions and ideas to resolve existing water challenges. Based on all of my research, and the fact that I have owned two Fleck systems over the years which have been pretty much a "set and forget" solution for me, advice for many solutions on this site, I decided to stay with Fleck. My new solution is again Fleck (Pentair) based valve system, i.e. a 5810 XTR2 (softener) and 5810 STX (carbon to remove chlorine and other organics that carbon removes). Extremely happy with the system performance, cost, and support.

Here is my system: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKb0wyQmMycENaWEE/view

bazsanya

Reaction score
Hi guys. I installed fleck 5600 a few days ago and I don’t think it is working.
I checked drain flow/draw back and everything seams to work fine. What other solution is there for me.
The reason why I don’t think it works.
1. Feeling the water (I know how soft water should feel in shower)
2. I used test strip on raw water and treated and strip has no difference in color

Thank you everyone

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi guys. I installed fleck 5600 a few days ago and I don’t think it is working.
I checked drain flow/draw back and everything seams to work fine. What other solution is there for me.
The reason why I don’t think it works.
1. Feeling the water (I know how soft water should feel in shower)
2. I used test strip on raw water and treated and strip has no difference in color

Thank you everyone
It is odd that you reposted into a thread called "Upflow vs Downflow". If you cannot figure out how to make a new thread, let us know.

I wonder if your setup is correct. You might post your settings, especially your VT (valve type).

bazsanya

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I’m not very good on internet.
I think I’ll unscrew head and check if everything is connected right inside

Bannerman

Reaction score
bazsanya, when removing the head, check the 'O' ring that normally seals the riser tube to the control valve. If the O ring is missing or damaged, raw water that enters at the top of the resin tank, can short circuit to the outflow port of the control valve, thereby bypassing the resin bed so no softening will occur.

One method to test if this is occurring without removing the head is to manually advance the controller to Brine Draw and taste the water flowing to drain. If there is a leak at the riser tube connection, the drain water will taste salty almost immediately whereas if the flow is down through the resin bed as it should be, it will then take some time for the drain water to taste salty.

BlueDevel

Reaction score
Hello,
I too am looking at buying a salt water softener system. I have already installed a Pelican sediment filter, carbon filter and their NaturSoft conditioner filter. The system works good and my water is much better than it was, but it is still at the 23 GPG hardness range. I was looking to add a salt softener to bring down the hardness of the water.

I have been looking at dual tank set-ups that will alternate between the tanks to provide constant soft water. I am down to looking at the Genesis system offered by Discount Water Softeners or a Fleck 9100SXT system. When comparing, the Genesis seems like it would be more efficient as far as salt use and water wasted during regen, but I understand that the Genesis is mostly made overseas and is not as "tested and true" as the Fleck unit. In addition, the Fleck replacement parts are more readily available and cheaper.

I am thinking that even though the Fleck system may not be as efficient, it may be more reliable and cheaper in the long run when you consider repairs and maintenance of the unit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Fleck controllers are also available in upflow brining.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
In almost all softeners including all Fleck and Clack units, efficiency is controllable through program settings. There is nothing 'magic' making one brand more efficient over another but there is plenty of marketing hype which should be ignored.

As salt efficiency is increased, hardness leakage through the softener will also increase resulting in lower quality soft water. As programmed capacity directly relates to the salt setting chosen, regeneration will also need to occur more frequently when compared to a less efficient setting. Salt efficiency requires compromise so this is taken into consideration as a matter of balance.

The two most recommended salt efficiency settings on this forum are 3,000 grains per pound (8 lbs salt to regenerate 24K usable grains per cuft of resin) and 3,333 grains/lb (6 lbs/20K grains per cuft) as these provide a good balance of efficiency, capacity, and regeneration requirement. The 8 lb setting will provide slightly higher quality water than the 6 lb. Some softener brands may advertise higher efficiency and the Fleck and Clack units can deliver the same but higher efficiency will mean further compromise in the areas mentioned.

A twin tank softener is similar to buying two softeners. A twin tank setup is usually recommended when soft water needs to be available on a constant basis, or when the hardness level is extremely high, or when there are many people and water usage is substantially greater than average. Most homes usually have only a few occupants who tend to sleep at the same time, thereby allowing substantial periods of low/no water usage which will give a less expensive single tank softener ample time to regenerate before soft water is again required.

If you state your occupancy and water source, we may then be able to offer qualified advice as to the softener type, capacity and settings appropriate for your situation.

I have already installed a Pelican sediment filter, carbon filter and their NaturSoft conditioner filter. The system works good and my water is much better than it was, but it is still at the 23 GPG hardness range.
What was the hardness level before installing the NaturSoft?

Last edited:

BlueDevel

Reaction score
In almost all softeners including all Fleck and Clack units, efficiency is controllable through program settings. There is nothing 'magic' making one brand more efficient over another but there is plenty of marketing hype which should be ignored.

As salt efficiency is increased, hardness leakage through the softener will also increase resulting in lower quality soft water. As programmed capacity directly relates to the salt setting chosen, regeneration will also need to occur more frequently when compared to a less efficient setting. Salt efficiency requires compromise so this is taken into consideration as a matter of balance.

The two most recommended salt efficiency settings on this forum are 3,000 grains per pound (8 lbs salt to regenerate 24K usable grains per cuft of resin) and 3,333 grains/lb (6 lbs/20K grains per cuft) as these provide a good balance of efficiency, capacity, and regeneration requirement. The 8 lb setting will provide slightly higher quality water than the 6 lb. Some softener brands may advertise higher efficiency and the Fleck and Clack units can deliver the same but higher efficiency will mean further compromise in the areas mentioned.

A twin tank softener is similar to buying two softeners. A twin tank setup is usually recommended when soft water needs to be available on a constant basis, or when the hardness level is extremely high, or when there are many people and water usage is substantially greater than average. Most homes usually have only a few occupants who tend to sleep at the same time, thereby allowing substantial periods of low/no water usage which will give a less expensive single tank softener ample time to regenerate before soft water is again required.

If you state your occupancy and water source, we may then be able to offer qualified advice as to the softener type, capacity and settings appropriate for your situation.

What was the hardness level before installing the NaturSoft?

I did check my hardness levels before I installed the Pelican system, but it was a long time ago and I do not remember what they were. I knew it was hard because I had big problems with water stains in my toilets, bathtubs and sinks. My washing machine always had a bad smell and my dishwasher used to leave white soap or calcium deposits on plastic dishes. My water heater lower element died (again) in Nov 2018 due to too much calcium build up in the bottom and I had gotten tired of attempting to clean it and replacing the element, so I replaced the water heater with a fairly expensive, energy efficient heat pump unit. Plus, the old one used to send tons of white calcium through my hot water on my faucets. When I bought my house, I was not aware of flushing the water heater, so the old one got away from me as far as build up before I knew that I should be doing it.

I had originally planned to flush the new water heater once a month, but then I bit the bullet and bought the Pelican system. The Pelican system has taken care of my water issues as far as stains, build up and smells, however, I still flush the water heater every 2 months.

I originally bought the Pelican because it promised ALL of the benefits of a salt softener without as much maintenance and where I located it, there is no drain for a back washing system. The Pelican does deliver and I am happy with it, except that it does not remove the calcium and magnesium from the water, it just treats it to a point where it won't build up and the carbon filter takes care of the smells. My initial water problems are solved, but I do not get the benefits of showering in soft water or using less soap when doing laundry and I'm pretty sure that the softer water would be more beneficial to the clothing. That is why I am considering adding a salt softener. I will also run new plumbing to the salt softener into an area where there is a drain for the backwash.

SO, all that being said, my water hardness is now 23 GPG, which, since the NaturSoft doesn't actually remove the Calcium and the Magnesium, is probably the same level as before the NaturSoft. If need be, I could test the water at my outside hose bib, since that water does not go through my filtration set-up. I do not plan to remove the Pelican filtration unit and I figure that it will only add to the life of the softener.

I have 3 people, sometimes 4 living in the house at a time and it is on a municipal/city water supply in Reading, PA. I have 1 main bathroom with a secondary bathroom that isn't used very much. I did the calculations and came up with needing about a 41 to 45k grain unit and I was just going to go with a 48k unit. I liked the idea of the dual tank unit fully using the media and regenerating when needed and not at a pre-programmed time. That way, there is a guarantee of constant soft water at anytime. I also liked the idea that they regenerate with soft water.

Someone else said that a Fleck unit can be set-up for a downflow design, but is that really necessary? From what I am reading on here, it sounds like that is part of the hype. Also, I was mainly looking at salt and water usage during regeneration when comparing the Genesis to the Fleck on the discount water softeners website. They say the Genesis uses 9lbs of salt and 62.7 gallons during regen and the Fleck uses 22.5lbs of salt and 89 gallons to regen. I guess this is hype because I can change settings? I was pretty much settled on the Fleck 9100SXT before I found the Genesis. I wish I hadn't found the Genesis. As I had already mentioned, the Genesis parts are not as readily available as the Fleck and the Fleck parts are cheaper when repair time comes (and we both know it will). In addition, the Fleck is USA made and I think the Genesis is mainly produced overseas, but I wonder how much that really matters as far as quality anymore.

Sorry for getting so long winded.

Reader90

Reaction score
I have two different solutions at two different homes installed in past year. Both solutions have a whole home carbon filter tank/valve and a water softener tank/valve. Both use 10% cross linked resin for the softener and high end carbon (Jacobi). One system using all Clack WS1 based valves, Clack tanks and the other is using Fleck 5810 based valves (SXT and XTR2), clack tanks. Both solutions are ROCK SOLID and produce outstanding, soft water. I am on municipal water (uses chlorine), with hardness ~22 gpG. I had them both solutions built to order by a distributor I know and trust. I like the Fleck valves better due to the UI to look status (if I want to). My opinion..... you cannot go wrong with Fleck or Clack. Find a great distributor/dealer/installer. That is what I did. Good Luck....

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/32-33 short article on up/downflow carbon ie: pelican uses upflow carbon design,

23 grains... a slightly larger single tank system is ideal for you application. Are you really going to be using the water every third week at 2:00 a.m.? The dual tank system will use approximately 1/2 bag less of salt per year, not really worth the extra cost. Also consider the complexity of a twin alternating unit for future repairs. These systems are slightly more complex but they are ideal for applications where we can not get the regeneration under every few days without excessively large units or primarily in commercial applications where water usage is 24/7.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I did the calculations and came up with needing about a 41 to 45k grain unit and I was just going to go with a 48k unit.

You calculated the softening requirement to be 41 - 45K, not the size of the unit.

4 people X 60 gallons/day (est average) X 25 GPG (2 gpg added to anticipate some hardness variance) = 6,000 grains/day = 42,000 grains/week.

The common recommendation is to size a unit to satisfy requirements while regenerating no more than 1X per week while using an efficient salt setting.

A 1.5 cuft softener (48K total capacity) would consume 22.5 lbs salt each regeneration cycle to deliver 45K grains useable capacity. 45K / 22.5 lbs = 2,000 grains per pound salt efficiency.

A 2 cuft unit (64K total capacity) will need only 16 lbs salt each regen cycle to deliver 48K grains useable capacity = much more efficient 3,000 grains per pound salt efficiency.

A 2 cuft unit using 12 lbs salt will regenerate 40K grains useable capacity = a slightly more efficient 3,333 grains per pound salt efficiency.

A 2 cuft softener would better satisfy your requirements for 4 people while using an efficient salt setting. If water consumption becomes less, the regeneration frequency will be less often but as there is no iron being removed by the softener, regeneration could occur as few as 1X per month without issue.

davidplumber

Reaction score
;)
We've been in our new home for about 3 years now. We are on a shared well in the neighborhood with a water filtration membrane servicing almost 300 homes managed by the water company. It's like our own little private water system. But, we are on a limestone overlay and my water hardness is measuring 11-12 gpg in a 5 bedroom, 4 bath home. Iron is zero. Ph is 8. Our water usage this summer was around 200gallons per day, but I want to have a solution that is flexible enough to handle low consumption when the kids move out, or higher consumption if we move and sell the house to a larger family.

I'm pretty handy, having finished my own basement, including plumbing a bathroom (yes I passed inspection), so I want to install a Water Softener. The pipe where I'd hook this up is 1".

A quick google for water softeners and Fleck comes up a lot. Another one that keeps coming up is "Discount Water Softeners" with their Genesis line, claiming that their upflow systems are more efficient and saves money in the long run and they actually sell and do comparisons to the Fleck systems. The company is not the Original Manufacturer, they are just rebranding something else. The control valve appears to be a Clack. From their website:

"The Genesis Upflow, high efficiency water softeners are manufactured by a company that has been in business for over 50 years. They have offices available in the USA and Canada. Discount Water Softeners is the only company to carry the Genesis name, and we currently only sell our line through our website. For proprietary reasons, we are not authorized to list the manufacturer on our website, but the parts are readily available as well as warranty and support."

Any opinions out there about upflow vs downflow? Is upflow really that much better?

Anybody run into Genesis or know the OEM? Any opinions/thoughts on the Genesis systems (i'm looking at the Revolution due to the 1" pipe)?

;);)hire master PLUMBER!;);)
  • ;)

zer0

Reaction score

Oh boy. Where to start.

Upflow vs downflow is actually not that different, though most companies marketing departments will cry otherwise. Ill give you the short summary:
In BOTH upflow and downflow, the service flow (basically, the position of the piston when you are softening) goes through the top basket (aka upper distributor) and down the resin, gravel, and into the lower basket (aka lower distributor) and eventually up the manifold tube and out the outlet of the valve.

This is for BOTH upflow and downflow, and is the #1 mistake people make. The difference between upflow and downflow is during the brining step, also called brine rinse/slow rinse or regeneration/"regen" (and other steps, but not important for this discussion).

In the regen step for UPFLOW systems, the eductor pulls the brine from the brine tank, mixes it with fresh water in the injector and dumps it into the tank through the LOWER distributor. This means the brine directly contacts the resin and moves up the resin bed and out to drain.

In the regen step for DOWNFLOW systems, the eductor does the same though it dumps the brine into the UPPER distributor, and the brine percolates downwards.

Now, here is where it gets tricky: downflow is usually regarded as 'less efficient' but that depends on what youre talking about. If you are talking about BRINE efficiency, then yes, downflow is less efficient because it needs to inject a more concentrated brine solution since the top of the tank is water and therefore, the brine needs to fight dilution before it accesses the resin bed. However, downflow systems are more water efficient. I wont get into why, because I would have to go through the injector/eductor design, how it works, the salinity/mix ratios between upflow and downflow, etc.

However, the real deal is that the brine efficiency improvement of upflow vs downflow is about 10 to 15%. So dont assume that it will be a major difference. Another blow to upflow is that they are VERY FINICKY. The distributor effect on capacity (AKA, how many grains your tank can filter) is huge in upflow systems, so you need to make sure you are using a nice clack stacked distributor and/or a skinnier tank (for example, 8x44 instead of 9x42). You also need to make sure your water pressure, at the time of regen, is steady. Upflow systems have a very narrow band of optimal operation, so you need to check the water pressure in your home and set it up accordingly with the properly sized eductor.

This is why I generally tell DIYers to make a downflow system. The rate at which you uptake brine during regen is not nearly as important as it is with upflow systems.

Also, 10-12 gpg is actually not hard water. Chicago/Midwest averages at around 20-25 gpg, and Europe is around 40 gpg. So depending on your water usage, you probably would never need to go above a 9 or 10" tank.

DO NOT GET A TWIN. Twins are for people who need to protect equipment and therefore need constantly softened water without any rest. If you set the regen at 2am (usually standard default), I doubt you would ever notice the 1hour in which your house has hard water. Only if you intend on protecting, say, your boiler, would I recommend spending that extra $3-400. They are also much trickier to diagnose and use more dynamic components (extra piston or ball valve usually).

I wouldnt worry too much about tank capacity. 1 cubic foot of resin is already around 30-35k of capacity, and that should easily last a family that uses 300-500 gallons a day around 4-5 days (BTW, the tank is usually set to regen before full depletion, also called 'reserve capacity' in the software manuals. You can always regen more often, the consequence of course being more brine usage). An 8x44 can fit around 1.5 to 2 cf of resin without issue. You can also forego the gravel/sand bedding for more resin i.e. more capacity. Sand is not necessary, but does help in situations where the tank is large and the distributor is small. The sand is not there to prevent resin from escaping as some people think.

Another thing to note is tank size. In general, you will have less problems and higher efficiency with a narrower tank. I would suggest getting the Pentair/Structural 8x44". It has fairly decent capacity.

As mentioned, go for a nice stacked Clack distributor that can fit the 2-1/2" opening in the top of the tank. Forget about the tiny point distributors, they are not worthwhile.

When it comes to plumbing, try to drain to the floor. Drain elevation can be a major issue. If you try to elevate the drain line, depending on your water pressure, you could have an impending disaster. Therefore, it is much better to drain to the floor OR, if you need to raise the drain level, to get a float-activated sump pump.

TLDR Version:
  • Go downflow if DIY
  • Drain to floor
  • Use one tank as skinny as possible
  • Set your salt load to around 6 to 8 lbs per cf of resin for Downflow, 4-6 if upflow. These are the most efficient salt loads that will give you the max capacity/salt.
  • Set your regen to 2am or a time when no water is being used (for steady pressure)
  • Check that your eductor/injector is sized for your water pressure (at night, not during the day)
  • Start with single tank. If unit is outdoors, paint it or get a black tank (prevents algae growth)
  • Clack or Pentair sell the best by far. Most others are knockoffs of the Clack or Pentair designs. Kinetico is mechanical timing based and has best distribution in industry. Culligan has an aqua-sensor to detect when hardness is starting to bleed for most efficient regen times. However, you will pay a lot more for the last two brands.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Injector draw rates have almost no variance in standard water pressure from 30-120 PSI. You don't typically size the injector based on pressure, rather on the efficiency desired and the salt amount used.

injector.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks