Updating old 1-1/2" waste pipe to 2" for laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

muilebon

Reaction score
adding_laundry.png
Greetings, I hope everyone is well today!

Please refer to the image attached.
I would like to use an old 1-1/2" laundry floor inlet for shower and upgrade laundry to utilize
a 2" floor hub to which only one sink was originally hooked up.
The distance from the new laundry trap to the vent at the 2" hub would be
less then 8' with no change of direction vs the original sink waste pipe.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
leave the existing sink hook up cut in a tee below it and run over to washing machine hookup with 2 inch vent with 1-1/2 and tie into the existing vent cap off old 1-1/2 waste line

muilebon

Reaction score
Thank you, Jeff.
Clarification on my specs: (I was posting late at night and did not notice 1/2 " mistake) --
the existing vent pipes and the old laundry inlet are all 1 1/2" not 1/2".
Thanks again!

Attachments

• adding_laundry.png
    adding_laundry.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 333

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was thinking to go to existing location low with a long sweep up and 2x1 1/2x2 santee, verticaly but theres other ways and not sure mine is easiest way. Im figuring each to have its own vent

muilebon

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
Thanks a million for your input!
I posted a new drawing reflecting your and MASTERPLUMB777's suggestions.
My code questions are in red on the chart.
The plan now is to drain washer into utility sink.
All pipes in green are new. I decided to replace the existing sink waste hook up with PVC because
the stub out is very rusty. The old 2" inlet is a steel hub with a steel pipe which I will be cutting to couple with new
PVC configuration via Fernco flex coupling.
Please let me know if there is anything else I need to consider.
Thank you so much!
adding_laundry_03.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good but I would change these things Where the 2 inch stack that will serve sink and washer I would use a 2 inch santee bottom and 2x 1 1/2x 1 1/2 santee on top . Over on the washer I would use a 2x2 x1 1/2 combi on back for the vent, as my code dosent allow a santee on back but I belive IPC does the santee is cheaper but for us (those governed by UPC code)its just wrong( I belive good reason) can explain why its not allowed if you like. But looks good and certainly functional!

Reach4

Reaction score
You might add cleanouts to make it easy to clean out the pipes that go down through the floor. Clogs often happen where vertical drains go horizontal under the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there some kind of 1.5 inch DWV vent cross that could be used instead of a vent tee? That top port could get a cleanout plug, and give a straight shot down for rodding or even shoving a Brasscraft drain bladder down to floor level. A 1.5 inch double santee comes close.
white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc-00410-2050-64_145.jpg
white-pvc-pvc-fittings-c4835hd112-64_145.jpg

Maybe that double santee could be turned 90 degrees to give the horizontal venting a straight path and require the snake or drain bladder to jog a bit.

muilebon

Reaction score
Jeff, this is great!
I am curious at to why the tee on back for the washer vent would be wrong in my instance?
Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff, this is great!
I am curious at to why the tee on back for the washer vent would be wrong in my instance?
I think its legal in IPC code. but not sure but In UPC code a vent must be treated as a wasteline till its 6 inches above flood level of fixture (standpipe) So being like a wasteline it must be of equivelant sweep of a wye and 45. If washer backs up suposedly the waste could get stuck in the fitting. If I do that here a good inspectors going to say something or another plumber or general contractor. I was taught to do it your way early in my career and had Long Beach CA inspector make me rework numerous apartment units

muilebon

Reaction score
Is there some kind of 1.5 inch DWV vent cross that could be used instead of a vent tee? That top port could get a cleanout plug, and give a straight shot down for rodding or even shoving a Brasscraft drain bladder down to floor level. A 1.5 inch double santee comes close.
white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc-00410-2050-64_145.jpg
white-pvc-pvc-fittings-c4835hd112-64_145.jpg

Maybe that double santee could be turned 90 degrees to give the horizontal venting a straight path and require the snake or drain bladder to jog a bit.

Great idea! Could one cover the one on the right with fernco flex cap fernco_cap.PNG, or it has to be a threaded plug?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great idea! Could one cover the one on the right with fernco flex cap View attachment 63523, or it has to be a threaded plug?
as far as I know threaded it should be. That jim cap is for temporary use not part of the plumbing system. I might have left one on in an exposed location. Seen many behind drywall and under houses but that just aint right!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was going by your drawing that you posted, And I thank that using a Jim Cap to block a
the sink drain is OK !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks