Updating home water treatment on well

Users who are viewing this thread

Old Barn

Reaction score
We are dealing with high hardness and iron / manganese well water and a sulfur smell at both the cold and hot taps. In high flow conditions (filling tub or upstairs shower) black sediment comes from the hot water heater. Degree of smell seems to change with the seasons (especially at cold water). Sulfur smell in hot water increases, if water is not used for a week (makes me wonder if there is some bacteria in tank). My goal is to eliminate the sulfur smell and metal taste, and improve laundry conditions (dingy whites).

The house is 24 years old. Current softener system could be that old, but is at least 12 years old. The existing setup is Well --> 60 Gallon Well Tank --> 2.5" x 20" blue sediment filter --> Kinetico Model 30 Twin Tank Softener (7" x 35", 0.7 cu ft each? ) with Disc 6.

We tried one local water treatment company that had experience with the "local issues." They did not test the water and installed an air injection filter (I don't know the filter media) plus carbon filter before the softener. The net effect within a day or two was that the the hot water took on a super strong oily, fishy smell. I put the filters in bypass and peroxide sanitized the hot water tank, and the fish smell went away. Tried the filters again and the smell came back. The water treatment company wouldn't troubleshoot, so I had them uninstall, and went back to softener only. I have not had the water formally tested for bacteria, but did a IRB and SRB BART test at home, but no effect or clouding until 12+ days.

So I'd like to try again to eliminate the problems with a more robust approach. Based on info from the forum, I'm seeing suggestions with various combinations of Katalox Light, GAC, Chlorine or Peroxide Injection, Contact tank or no tank, etc. I would appreciate any suggestions of what combo to put between the well tank and softener .....

Less is more, as far a process and maintenance. I like the peroxide approach as it converts to water. I'm a little concerned about using chlorine injection, unless I can 100% guarantee all residual gets pulled out later. My spouse would not appreciate trading sulfur smell for chlorine smell. Contact tank to precipitate out the iron / manganese makes sense. Unclear whether Katalox Light and / GAC is the best way to go.

Here is the analysis of our well water:

Arsenic - ICP 3.9 ppb
Calcium 104 ppm
Barium 231 ppm
Iron 2.76 ppm
Magnesium 27.1 ppm
Manganese 68.4 ppb
Sulfate 80.3 ppm
Chlorides 62.1 ppm
Hardness 22 grains
pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids 459 ppm
No nitrates.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Just my humble opinion... chlorine injection, contact tank and katalox light followed by a carbon backwashing tank, softener is optional but certainly recommended. Air injection systems work extremely well under ideal conditions, bacteria in the water is not one of them. Hydrogen peroxide is also difficult to use when bacteria is present. At the low levels used for iron and H2s reduction, it can actually promote bacterial growth. Chlorine is more effective for bacterial control. Carbon does an excellent job or reducing these levels back to extremely low levels. You should completely sanitize you well and plumbing prior to doing anything else, you could be getting some problems due to high levels of bacteria.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks