Updating exsisting plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

naglejob

Reaction score
hello,
i recently purchased a home. While doing some concrete work in the basement i started to notice a sewer gas smell coming from my drain in the garage. I decided that since i was doing concrete work i would dig up the drain and see exactly what was going on. It turns out that 40 years ago when they built an addition onto my house the built it over the main line trap ( which is normally outside?) and the drain was an open vent to my trap. I talked to a plumber and he thought it would be alright if i just capped it off but then i would lose my garage floor drain, but if i put a trap on top of the trap i would lose my access for snaking my main.... so i am not sure what to do. Also i wanted to replace some of the floor drains in my house and noticed they are all of the bell trap design. If i change them to p traps i am afraid of the problems that might arise from ventilation. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In some areas floor drains in garages are no longer permitted unless there is an oil/water separator installed.
Before you change anything I recommend checking with your building inspector.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They have been outlawed for decades. Just changing to "P" traps will NOT change the "ventilation", other than the bell traps were probably not working anyway. There are ways to keep the access to the house trap, (although I, and many other plumbers, would remove the trap IMMEDIATELY), and still connect a floor drain to it.

naglejob

Reaction score
I don't think I can remove the main trap, I would have to relocate it outside, and that would get expensive.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're missing the point about the main trap...most systems do not have one at all...it's not an issue with relocating it, it's eliminating it altogether. It's an impediment to good flow and a likely problem if you do need to run an auger through the lines.

naglejob

Reaction score
talked to a plumber, his suggestions are 1. cap off the drain temporarily to see if my system functions properly
2. If everythings good just install a finish grade cap and close it up
( if i was going to add another floor drain i would have to move my main trap outside, this would involve ripping up my driveway cost hundreds...)
He also said the floor drains in the house could be changed over to p traps and if they don't already have traps hooked to them, this would cause no problems

Thanks for all the help Terry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks