UPC Code back to back bathroom renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

Pdhawaii

Reaction score
Been looking through the forums a lot, and hoping to get some help and opinions. In Hawaii under the UPC. I have a remodel planned to add a shower to a small bathroom. This will require reorganizing the fixtures, because both bathrooms are very small.

The plumbing setup currently is pretty straightforward. Only note that most waste pipes are ABS, and the vents are cast iron.

Please see the photo setup of current conditions.

Questions I have:
1) Assuming it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace all the cast iron vents?
2) Is there any issue with the toilet upstream of shower?
3) What is the best way to plumb and vent two showers back to back, is a 2" double fixture tee okay? Can that tee tie into a 4" vent stack into the roof?
4) What is the best way to drain the sink and toilet back to back? should just tie into main drain line which is about 6 feet long before it takes a 60 degree turn into sewer lateral underground?
5) Out of curiosity, is the shower in the existing setup vented properly? Not a big deal if not, going to tear it out.

Thanks! And be easy on me, just trying to learn about code/requirements/best practices before I pay anyone. I really want to understand my system.

Attachments

• Existing.jpg
    Existing.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 279

Pdhawaii

Reaction score
But how would I adjust it to replace the toilets with showers to match the planned image

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the toilets are plumbed just like the original only instead of a double fixture fitting use a 3x2x3 low heel outlet or a 3 inch santee with 3x2 bushing on top then your 2 inch vent comes thru slab up to aprox 20 inches and put a 2x2x1 1/2 inch santee point toward lav. You seemed to draw it up pretty good its real simple hope this helps

Pdhawaii

Reaction score
Okay thanks Jeff! With that, I cam up with the following plan. All the vents will be in a 6" plumbing wall. My only concern is the main vent going to through the roof. In the image, I have it a 4", and in the existing bathroom it is 4".

My question is can I use the 2x4" bushing to reduce in size to meet the 4" vent? Does the UPC require the vent to be 4" for the two bathrooms? This will require some furring in order to fit the shower mixer valves because of the 4" going through a 5.5" wall. The kitchen sink has its own vent.

Also, did I get my fittings correct?

Attachments

• Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Pdhawaii

Reaction score
the toilets are plumbed just like the original only instead of a double fixture fitting use a 3x2x3 low heel outlet or a 3 inch santee with 3x2 bushing on top then your 2 inch vent comes thru slab up to aprox 20 inches and put a 2x2x1 1/2 inch santee point toward lav. You seemed to draw it up pretty good its real simple hope this helps

Hoping you could take a look at the plumbing drawing I came up with. Does it look good?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just saw your drawing looks goodonly thin I see is those 2 chean out tees above toilet and lavs just need a 2 inch 90 on the las one and a 2inch santee on the other fitting a make a 3 inch combination y 1/8thbend (combi) make b a 3x3 x2x2 fixture fitting continue up 3 inch with vent and fittings e should both be 3 inch combi i think that should do it ill try to check back .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks