UPC 1/4 Bend Versus Long Sweep Horizontal to Horizontal

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff in Seattle

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a home in Seattle (which uses the UPC) built in 1991. I bought this home from the original owner who had the house built. I am currently remodeling my master bathroom. While working below in my garage under the master, after opening up a ceiling rafter bay, I spied a 2" ABS drain from the adjacent guest bathroom sink (I only have partial access to this bay due to a hot water heater below). The drain pops through the rafter bay and turns right using a 1/4 bend. UPC code 706.4 states in a horizontal to horizontal configuration, a long sweep should be used (not a 1/4 bend). This is a standalone drain with nothing but the sink on it. I know that in the IRC this is perfectly acceptable and "works". Further, this was installed when the house was built in 1991. I bought it in 1998 and have not had any issues (although this bathroom is seldom used). QUESTION: Should I make the effort of changing it out to meet code? Even if the answer is overwhelmingly "yes", the assumed path in the next bay (which I cannot access without some major work) should have yet another 90 of some sort (again, in a horizontal position). I am guessing that if the plumber used a 1/4 bend horizontally in this rafter bay, he likely did so in the next bay as well. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is pretty hard to get a long sweep in a 2×4 stud wall without hacking the framing. On a lavatory, I would not be apt to dig into that very quickly, unless I were gutting the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks