Up to Code? Stub-out installed above electrical box

Users who are viewing this thread

Opifex

Reaction score
Hello. I noticed that my plumber installed a new copper stub out directly over an electrical box. I understand that building codes differ by state (I'm in Oregon), but this just struck me as a no-brainer.

What do you all think? Should I ask the plumber to fix it?

20190921_142806.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
He could have offset the vent above the stub outs. It wouldn't have hurt anything if the drain and water stops were off center of the sink.
That's definitely a hazard. Move one or the other.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think there is a problem with the pex pipes touching the electrical box. I would probably pad the screw where it might rub for mechanical reasons, or maybe I would cut that screw shorter. I am not a pro.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
No code problems, no hazard, no problem there. Think of all the pipes and wires snaking through the walls of a house. Or, maybe it's better people don't see it.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
No code problems, no hazard, no problem there. Think of all the pipes and wires snaking through the walls of a house. Or, maybe it's better people don't see it.
Your correct, I was just thinking of the times I've installed point of use water heaters and how they require the water lines be attached from the bottom or side in case a leak develops.

Opifex

Reaction score
Thanks all. It wasn't the touching itself that concerned me. If a leak developed at the stub out the water would likely run into the electrical box, and then who knows where from there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks