Up size two line jet pump for more pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Ok I am up in the air about this whole CSV deal. I hear it's is good thing , and I hear it's a bad thing. I would like to throw a little multiple choice question out there.

A - THRILL IT (csv is good for pump)
B- KILL IT (csv is bad for pump)
OR
C - I DON'T KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING TO HAPPEN

MY ANSWER IS C

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It goes 10gpm to the tank until it hits 57psi and then cuts back to 1gpm that's ok but does It?

Yes that is how it works. You can actually set the pressure to get anything from 2 minutes to 12 minutes run time, depending on what you want. It is one of those things that is easier to understand when you see it working. Then once you see water just goes right past the tank as long as any faucet is running, you will understand that even the 44 gallon tank is larger than needed.

There is a multitude of different types of pump controls on the market these days. Most of them are variable speed or flow switch operated and considered to be "tankless". People are falling for the hype of these type systems left and right. So I don't understand that when using a Cycle Stop Valve, all of a sudden people think a big tank would help.

The CSV is good for the pump, unlike variable speeds and flow switches. And even though a big tank is just a waste of money and space, the CSV will allow the use of all the draw down from any size tank you want to use. But again, when you finally see a CSV working, you will realize the water goes right past the tank, so it wouldn't make any difference if it is a 1 gallon or a million gallon tank.

BTW a 500 gallon pressure tank only holds about 75 gallons of usable water. Plus the larger the tank you use, the longer you experience low pressure in the shower before the pump is started and the CSV starts delivering strong constant pressure. In 25 years I have had a lot of people removing those large tanks after seeing how the CSV works, as they like the strong constant pressure and don't like waiting for it to happen.

Reaction score
Remember, the jet needs to match the pump and well.

If you really want more performance look into the multi stage hsj pump. Make sure you buy the optional regulator and not the crappy one they send with the pump.
The 1hp pump showed up yesterday. And just out of curiosity I decided to install it with the current unknown nozzle & venturi size. I did not change to 40-60 yet. Now it will fill the tank in 1min 40sec. I did not install a av22 yet or a csv yet There was a supplied guage with the pump so I put it on the T on top of the pump. Also have another guage on the tank T. They both read diffeent (about 7 lbs.) The one on top of the pump(goulds guage) reads higher Not sure witch guage to go by to set the pressure. As far as the av22 goes is there anything better it looks cheap and simple. Also the book comes up with a FT4-43 for my rise and pipe size . I Believe I have a FT4 jet body down there could just the nozzle & venturi be changed or do you need to order the whole assembly?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also have another guage on the tank T. They both read diffeent (about 7 lbs.) The one on top of the pump(goulds guage) reads higher Not sure witch guage to go by to set the pressure.
With the pump off, measure the air pressure in your tank. The air pressure will be very close to the water pressure.

Then ask your tire store how your tire gauge readings compare to a good one.

Reaction score
With the pump off, measure the air pressure in your tank. The air pressure will be very close to the water pressure.

Then ask your tire store how your tire gauge readings compare to a good one.
Ok dial type tire gauge matches goulds gauge. So a I will set my pressure by that one. THANKS. I Pressured up tank to 38 & set switch to 40-60 and have about a 1min. 50sec. Cycle time with no water demands. Still have to play around with taps open to see how much pressure I can get from the pump before I even think about adding a csv. Just some more rough math. Pump seems to be pumping about 5.75 gpm. Which leads me to believe some jet sizing needs to be done to gain the missing 4.25gpm.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The jet bodies should all be the same. You should be able to swap out the nozzle and Venturi. Just know that the jet in the well may not be the same brand as the pump. I see that a lot.

I believe you have something wrong with the jet or drop lines. The other possibility is that the well production has slowed down.

Reach4

Reaction score
I Pressured up tank to 38 & set switch to 40-60 and have about a 1min. 50sec.
Usually you set the precharge to about 4 psi below the cut-in with a jet pump. That is because they take a while to get going fully. If the pressure does not stutter now, then you can leave it. Other than the potential stutter, there is no problem setting the precharge high (presuming a normal pressure switch with no low-pressure cut-off).

Reaction score
The jet bodies should all be the same. You should be able to swap out the nozzle and Venturi. Just know that the jet in the well may not be the same brand as the pump. I see that a lot.

I believe you have something wrong with the jet or drop lines. The other possibility is that the well production has slowed down.
IT is a goulds jet body that was paired with a 1/2hp pump. Just not sure what the nozzle & venturi size were. I don't think there were any numbers stamped on them. I am getting about 5.75 gpm with the new pump and the old jet. Everything holds pressure which leads me to believe I have to change the nozzle & venturi for optimal performance. But it should do no harm to the pump for now right? The book tells me AN017 with AD727 or AD730. One of those 2 depending on my final calculations.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks