Up size two line jet pump for more pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
But its roughly a 25' rise with about 200' of piping to the house.
25 ft rise from the water to the well head, or 25 ft altitude increase from the well head, via the 200 ft of pipe, to the house, or combined?

Reaction score
25 ft rise from the water to the well head, or 25 ft altitude increase from the well head, via the 200 ft of pipe, to the house, or combined?
I will get a better measurement but for now jet assembly about 25' down from the 90's then about 200' horizontal run to the house.The elbows are about 10 or 12' down from the surface, but the pump is in the basement. There probably a slight up hill climb, but I will use an altimeter to get an accurate # for the total rise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
With a pumping level of 25', that J10 will put out 10 GPM at 50 PSI. That should easily run three 3GPM faucets at the same time.

The CSV only fills the tank at 1 GPM when it is above the CSV set pressure. So with a large tank and a 40/60 pressures switch, you set the CSV for 57 PSI. That way it only fills the last 3 gallons of the tank at 1 GPM, and you get a 3 minute run time even with a huge tank.
That' great news as I thought the tank was empty while the csv was in operation. So a few toilet flushes and a drink of water won't cycle the pump all night or at least untill the water softner kicks in. The other question is do I still need the av22 I believe it' called or does the csv take it' place?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Remember, the jet needs to match the pump and well.

If you really want more performance look into the multi stage hsj pump. Make sure you buy the optional regulator and not the crappy one they send with the pump.
I was looking at those too looks like another good option.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That' great news as I thought the tank was empty while the csv was in operation. So a few toilet flushes and a drink of water won't cycle the pump all night or at least untill the water softner kicks in. The other question is do I still need the av22 I believe it' called or does the csv take it' place?
Yes you still need the av22. Put the CSV after that. The av22 always holds enough back pressure on the down hole jet to make it work, and the CSV only adds back pressure when you are using a small amount of flow. They work well together.

Reaction score
Rough math about 2gal. Per min.

I would take look at your pump impeller when you have the time.
With soo many variables such as total lift the condition of nozzle & venturi, and the pump condition. It could be anything I will have to perform a good assement of all the components of the current set up after all it is pretty old. Thanks for the advice.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
With soo many variables such as total lift the condition of nozzle & venturi, and the pump condition. It could be anything I will have to perform a good assement of all the components of the current set up after all it is pretty old. Thanks for the advice.

Bigger pump with more pressure is the way to go. Everyone on here gave great advice. I was just pointing out the obvious seeing how your pump is 5gpm right?

Reaction score
Bigger pump with more pressure is the way to go. Everyone on here gave great advice. I was just pointing out the obvious seeing how your pump is 5gpm right?
Yes according to the specs. It should be. I will check that old pump when I pull it.As far as the well end goes it' just to friggin cold here right now to check all that. I WATCHED MY DOG TAKE A PISS AND IT PRETTY MUCH VAPORIZED. LOL.

Reaction score
Yes you still need the av22. Put the CSV after that. The av22 always holds enough back pressure on the down hole jet to make it work, and the CSV only adds back pressure when you are using a small amount of flow. They work well together.
Sounds good still have to sort some details as to where the pressure switch has to move. Or just leave it on the pump and extend the 1/4" hose to the tank T. plugging the port on the pump of coarse. Or move the whole pressure switch to the T and extend the pump wires. One way or another I guess?

Reaction score
IMHO having a bunch of old spares is a poor excuse for sticking with jet pumps. A sub of equal HP will run circles around a jet.[/QUO9TE]
With my luck I would have a house full of people on Christmas eve and the pump would fail. While it's -40. Maybe a fat chance of this happening but it can. With a sub. Im SOL. It would only take me 30 min. To change the jet pump out in the nice warm basement the toilets would be back on line, I would be pressing my rye and coke again, and I could even scrub my nuts before I go to bed that very same night. I agree a sub will out perform a jet, but I think the jet is just more convenient to check or swap out. I ran a small printing business years and I could be sitting at my desk or on the phone while I had 4 Heidelberg windmills running , and if one of those machines misfed or acted up I would now exactly which one it was without even looking at it. With a sub. Things could be going downhill and I won' even know it unless I visually check gauges every so often. With a jet I can just hear what's happening. Both systems have their pros and cons I guess. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
A clogged venturi down the hole would put you out of action.

Reaction score
IF I WANTED SOME REAL PRESSURE I WOULD JUST INSTALL ONE OF THOSE 1000hp WARMEN PUMPS I SEE AT WORK EVERYDAY. LOL (making potash).
Anyway I decided to go with the j10+. I won't be installing it any time soon, but I'll revisit this and let everybody know how it works out. Once again THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED THEIR OPINION I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You will be happy with the added volume and pressure from the larger pump. But now you will have the opposite problem in that it will fill the tank very quickly, which causes cycling.

Reaction score
You will be happy with the added volume and pressure from the larger pump. But now you will have the opposite problem in that it will fill the tank very quickly, which causes cycling.
Let's dream up a senaro, say the toilet flushes and uses the last available water in the tank and there is no more demands after that how long will it take to fill the 44gal. Tank with the csv in place 11-12 min.? Or does the csv divert more gpm to the tank when no faucets are open?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's dream up a senaro, say the toilet flushes and uses the last available water in the tank and there is no more demands after that how long will it take to fill the 44gal. Tank with the csv in place 11-12 min.? Or does the csv divert more gpm to the tank when no faucets are open?
Depends on where the pressure switch setting is relative to the setting for the CSV. With the CSV set to the middle of the range, about 5 or 6 minutes. Set the CSV closer to the shut-off pressure, then less.

Reaction score
Depends on where the pressure switch setting is relative to the setting for the CSV. With the CSV set to the middle of the range, about 5 or 6 minutes. Set the CSV closer to the shut-off pressure, then less.
With a 40-60 setup I would be happy with the csv set a at least 50psi and max 55? As long as three showers are all getting the same pressure. I guess I will just have to find the sweet spot. I will try 55 for a starting point. And go from there. Just an after thought if I set it at 55 it will be at least 5 min. After demand. As valveman was saying 1gpm. After demand. It seems the large tank helps in certain situations but not in others.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

The CSV only fills the tank at 1 GPM when it is above the CSV set pressure. So with a large tank and a 40/60 pressures switch, you set the CSV for 57 PSI. That way it only fills the last 3 gallons of the tank at 1 GPM, and you get a 3 minute run time even with a huge tank.

Said differently; 2-3 minutes to fill any size tank you want to use. Plus it doesn't fill the tank above the set point of the CSV until you turn off all the faucets.

Reaction score
Said differently; 2-3 minutes to fill any size tank you want to use. Plus it doesn't fill the tank above the set point of the CSV until you turn off all the faucets.
Ok the video explains it all Thank you. 57 it is. What about a 500gal. Tank lol. It can't possibly fill that in 2-3 min. There must be a parameter for tank size. Not any size
I realize a massive tank is not realistic in a domestic situation, but the 44gal. In my situation should be ok. I get it that it takes only 3 gal. Top up the tank after the csv hits set point. But the senaro is how long to fill tank after the pressure switch just kicks at 40psi with no demand. For instance a leaky tap draws the tank down from 60 to 40. What happens when the pump kicks in at 40 with no demand. Will it fill the tank at the 1gpm. Rate till it hits 60 or will it fill it faster?. If It goes 10gpm to the tank until it hits 57psi and then cuts back to 1gpm that's ok but does It?. A 4 min. Cycle or a 12min. Cycle? (based on 12 gal.)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks