Unusual supply shut off valve under sink. Broke it and cant find replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Curious101

Reaction score
In my rental apartment i have a very uncommon shutoff valve for the supply line. The supple line looks like PVC. I broke this part (multi turn shut off valve) while tightening it and now I cant find a replacement at home depot, lowes or online stores.

Please advice where to find a replacement (preferred) and if none exists then how to get standard valve setup done here.

Ive added three images:
Image 1 - shot from above of the supply line that goes to kitchen faucet.
Image 2 - shot from front without the multi turn valve. Shows dripping water.
Image 3 - multi turn shut off valve 3/4 inch ID.

When I took this broken shut off valve to the store I was able to put it on the male garden hose like pipe.

I have tried garden hose shut off, brass cap 3/4 inch, boiler drain shut off and none of these options thread matched this one.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 7D5C3434-4D93-4406-80E2-08EF37C5193B.jpeg
    7D5C3434-4D93-4406-80E2-08EF37C5193B.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 91B04CD5-BAB7-412B-90E9-4AE5F9528C77.jpeg
    91B04CD5-BAB7-412B-90E9-4AE5F9528C77.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 598DC2FD-0843-4D07-A46E-D0121A8E9DA5.jpeg
    598DC2FD-0843-4D07-A46E-D0121A8E9DA5.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 324

Curious101

Reaction score
Isn't it simply a CPVC shutoff valve as shown farther down on this page:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbin...ly-Vinyl-Chloride-(CPVC)/N-5yc1vZbqkiZ1z0tupx

Thanks Treeman.

It does look a lot similar to what I have, with one difference, this particular one (link below) is 180 degrees inlet/outlet, whereas mine is 90 degree inlet/outlet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KBI-3-4-in-CPVC-CTS-Compression-Supply-Stop-Valve-SCC-0750-COH/204186918

Maybe the inner part is similar to what I need, I’ll pick one up tomorrow and report back here how it went.

Curious101

Reaction score
Isn't it simply a CPVC shutoff valve as shown farther down on this page:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbin...ly-Vinyl-Chloride-(CPVC)/N-5yc1vZbqkiZ1z0tupx

Maybe consider using a metal to CPVC valve instead:
resize

Thanks again.

I would love to get to metal with the standard 1/2 inch size but I dont know how mich work it will be.

If you look at the shot from top of image 1 , it doesnt seem like I can just twist this off the pipe.

Do I cut the pipe to get this off and then do I need threads made on the pipe for this metal one to go over it?

Treeman

Reaction score
You need to be careful that you have enough good pipe after cutting off the old glued on valve. If needed, you could lengthen the pipe with a coupler and extra pipe. That metal valve has a plastic sleeve inside for glueing.

Proceed cautiously, as it seems you have a learning curve before attempting this.
Did you Google the brand stamped in the side of the valve body to see if you can find just the broken parts??

Cut me some slack here, pros, we know what you would do, LOL.

Last edited:

Curious101

Reaction score
You need to be careful that you have enough good pipe after cutting off the old one. If needed, you could lengthen the pipe with a coupler.

Proceed cautiously, as it seems you have a learning curve before attempting this.
Did you Google the brand stamped in the side of the valve body to see if you can find just the broken parts??

Cut me some slack here, pros, we know what you would do, LOL.

Awesome!!!

Thank you for providing the video.

I will check the brand of the valve to see if I can find a replacement for same brand.

I feel a lot comfortable about this now. But this being a rental I’ll see if the landlord approved handman will do this reasonably.

Curious101

Reaction score
You can also cut the pipe behind the shutoff you have and use a Sharkbite type shutoff on the CPVC side.

Thanks Terry!

Awesome support community you have here.

I have multiple options to pursue within minutes of posting it here.

I’ll start with finding exact replacemwnt and then geaduate to cutting pipe to swap out the entire part.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If for some reason (probably small chance) the repair fails and floods the place (and maybe adjacent apartments) is the liability. Think carefully about doing any work on a place you don't own.

Curious101

Reaction score
If for some reason (probably small chance) the repair fails and floods the place (and maybe adjacent apartments) is the liability. Think carefully about doing any work on a place you don't own.
Thanks !

Good advice.
I saw your advice late last night and turned off water foe the night.

I love in a condo on the 1st floor, no one under me.

I’ll be careful with the repair and keep a close eye for the first couple of days.

Planning on doing the pipe cut and new install in the night so I can turn off water and provide enough time for curing.

JerryR

Reaction score
2 quick tips.

1- With old CPVC you may want to use a fine tooth hacksaw instead of a pvc pipe cutter. Aged CPVC can get brittle and crack using a cutter.

2- Terry suggested a shark bite shut off instead of gluing a CPVC fitting. If you aren’t familiar look into them. No glue required and they just push on. https://www.homedepot.com/s/Shark%20bite%20stop?NCNI-5

Curious101

Reaction score
2 quick tips.

1- With old CPVC you may want to use a fine tooth hacksaw instead of a pvc pipe cutter. Aged CPVC can get brittle and crack using a cutter.

2- Terry suggested a shark bite shut off instead of gluing a CPVC fitting. If you aren’t familiar look into them. No glue required and they just push on. https://www.homedepot.com/s/Shark%20bite%20stop?NCNI-5

Thanks Jerry.

The apartment is 10 years old and I don't have a hacksaw and did pick up a PVC pipe cutter today. I'll reconsider how I want to handle this.

Terry's suggestion of shark bite shut off - I mistook it for shark bite PVC cutter it when I first read it. I didn't realize that shark bite shutoff was a lot easier than messing with primer and cement. They do look like the way to go, I'll make another trip to HD to check them out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's real...that type of pipe does get more brittle as it ages. You might end up shattering the pipe end, and may no longer have enough length to add a shutoff without tearing into the wall. A hack saw is cheap.

A Sharkbite fitting/valve seals with an internal O-ring. You must make sure that the pipe end is both square and free of burrs, or you may damage the O-ring, and it won't seal. That's more likely on a copper pipe, but still possible with the cpvc plastic pipe.

JerryR

Reaction score
On your trip to Home Depot just buy a Hack Saw blade for less that $4. You don’t need the complete hack saw to saw through CPVC. Just take it slow and let the saw do the work.

Return the PVC pipe cutter and get your money back. HD is real good about returns.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks