Unusual faucet washer, can't find

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I have a clawfoot tub faucet and riser set that I got about 20 years ago from Baths From the Past, now out of business, that came with very unusual washers that I've not been able to find anywhere. The are lipped and fit into a recessed cup at the end of the threaded valve stem. They are about 5/8 inch on the small end and about 3/4" on the fat end, about 1/4" thick in total, with a little more than half of the thickness devoted to the wider, seat-facing end of the washer. There is a brass washer embedded about halfway through it, that the head of the screw that holds it on to the stem snugs up against. The screw head essentially countersinks and stays below the face of the washer.

I've had to make-do stacking various washers together to make a replacement that works, but would really like to find washers like this. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Can you post some 800 pixel or less pictures for us?
washer.jpg

Steve Zerby

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Here is an angle where you can see down into the recess where the screw head goes. See the metal at the bottom of the recess? That's a moulded-in metal washer.
washer2.jpg

Reaction score
I've seen combo metal-rubber washers used in automotive, but never in plumbing fixtures.

Have you anything to lose if you destroyed the existing rubber and see if you can replace it with a flat bibb washer?

The top of the rubber in the photo, that is where it contacts the bibb seat in your fixture, recessed and molded after years of service, originally flat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks