Unreliable gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

ThomasCdoorthe32

Reaction score
I have an A.O. Smith water heater that uses the WV8840B5077 control valve.
my problem is the tank occasionally decides to let the water temperature dropped 10° or so below its normal start temperature. Then once it has decided to come on, sometimes, it turns off before reaching its normal off temperature. This will go on for most of the day then it will go back to normal operation for a week or two. Any idea what caused the strange situation?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Guess your on lp? Have u ever flushed the tank? Could be a build up of lime/ minerals on the temp probe or a control going bad.

ThomasCdoorthe32

Reaction score
Correct , I am on propane. Flush the tank yearly. No sediment ever found inside.
I think you’re on to something. This is not the first time this tank has done this. When the tank was about two years old it did the same thing and AOsmith sent me a new control valve. That cleared the problem up. The current valve has been used for a little over two years. I will pull it out and clean the probe up. I’ll let you know how it works. Thanks so much!!

ThomasCdoorthe32

Reaction score
I pulled the combination gas control valve and cleaned some iron colored jelly like stuff off the probe. Put it back together and it is working the way it should again. PTL
Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks